Pages

Thursday 13 April 2017

A Lull

It's been so action packed that a quiet day seems out of place.  I'm full of cold with a rotten sore throat so I have done nothing significant.

One thing I did do was make shepherd's pie with turkey mince.  I like the turkey mince because it is low fat, high protein and very inexpensive.  On the other hand, I suspect what I save on mince I spend on stock cubes.  Actually it only wanted a stock cube and a pinch of sage (with the usual carrot, onion and a few spare mushrooms), and bear and DH loved it.  I will see how it goes.  For comparison, the turkey mince was £2 for 500g and the lean beef mince was £4 for 500g, so I think it's worth experimenting.

I've actually paid out for a frozen shoulder of lamb joint for Easter Sunday.  I am not keen on lamb but bear and DH adore it and it's traditional - and hideously expensive.  Poor DH is feeling very poorly with the cold so the least I can do is cook the lamb slowly in the slow cooker wrapped in foil with rosemary and garlic.

7 comments:

  1. I use turkey mince a lot Lyssa. It makes fabulous low fat burgers and lasagne.
    I am going to try a meatloaf with it next.
    Hope your nasty colds go soon for you-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so going to have to try a meatloat. Thank you for the inspiration x

      Delete
  2. My folks also use turkey mince and if they want to make it 'spread' for more servings they use vegimince to bulk it up. Our home is 50% veggie so there is very little meat cooked, the carnivores have to eat what us veggies have! When we visit my folks for a meal, then the carnivore contingency of our family are spoiled rotten :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on adding lentils, veg etc to pad out the meat as I don't think we need too much - but bear and DH get steak for Christmas dinner and their birthdays! x

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have ground chicken here and it seems as expensive as the ground beef! Next time, I shall see if they have ground turkey. Hope you feel better, soon. I don't like getting colds, at all!

    ReplyDelete