Pages

Monday 24 June 2019

Come Back Jonathan Creek

I refuse to do bear's homework for him - sort of. I helped him find poems when he had to find three favourite ones, as he could only think of Jabberwocky, and I did considerable work on the dratted fort over Christmas, but I work hard to step back.

This evening has been filled with me trying to encourage bear to write ten dratted poems. I told him that it was more important to have ten finished poems than great literature. He also has to write a 200 word introduction and do covers. It was supposed to be done when the school was closed for two days, so it isn't really an unreasonable amount of work. If only bear had seen it before late last night. To be fair, it's not on the part of the website where homework is normally shown, but I'm going to have to do some checking. And I don't want to do checking as I think it's up to bear to learn now and make his mistakes rather than later when it becomes more serious. And waiting until the last dratted minute for ten poems, an intro and a dratted cover is a mistake.

However the poems are supposed to have a theme, so I suggested cat stories (we have a few) and bear seemed taken with the idea, so I'm reminding him of the stories. He is writing the poems. I'm letting him get on with the whole cover and intro business. Five are done and he is currently going over a scene from Romeo and Juliet with DH.

Bear's school is selective, and pupils won't get there without having their parents make the effort to register them for the entrance exam, so by definition the kids have parents that will be supportive of homework, but these bits are the sort of thing that is meat and drink to DH and I. Bear could do it on his own, and I'm letting him get on with a load of stuff by himself, but I suppose this is another way that bear is lucky.

Apart from that stress, I blew all the lights in the house twice and managed a trip to the tip. The weather hasn't been too bad for the school run and Morrisons had fresh peas in, so I have been gorging on them.

Also, today would have been uncle's birthday. I miss him. He would have been so proud of bear.

1 comment: