Pages

Friday 29 May 2020

Lots of Writing Stuff

Sue - I still haven't got the nerve to go on the motorway. I'm not sure I ever will at this rate.

Sharon - I'm sure things will get sorted. It's just going to take time. Thank you for the hug.

Today is far too hot. I have been drying things on a clothes horse in the garden and sitting behind closed curtains. We had rice salad with chicken for dinner, which was lovely and refreshing. 

All the edits are now finished. I now have to go through my manuscript and agree it. I plan to try reading it out loud to myself twice through, which hopefully will pick up anything odd. Now it's into the publicity side. 

One of the things that the lovely publishers are planning is to give the option of a book with a message in the front.  I can't actually sign books that are going from warehouse direct to the reader, but they can get books printed with a copy of a hand written message. This is incredibly flattering to me, and came with some challenges. 

First of all, I had to learn to write my name. The book is called Out of the London Mist, by Lyssa Medana. My name isn't really Lyssa Medana. LM is a made up name for writing books. I only ever type it. The bin is full of practice sheets of me writing 'Lyssa Medana' over and over again with some very strange results. It feels a little egotistical. 

Finally I wrote out some messages and tried to take a pic to send to my editor (who is totally awesome (she may be reading this)). Inside was too dark, so I went outside and set them down on the front step. And that is how I got my exercise today, chasing around after pieces of paper covered in egotistical writing that were blowing all over the garden while a strange woman sat on a step across the corner and I swear she was judging me. I went back inside and laid them out next to a bedroom window and finally got some results I could send back. And somehow she will take the photos I sent and magic them into a readable dedication. Here's one of them, which I hope will be typical. 


Hugs and good health to all 

1 comment:

  1. Oh I had to MAKE myself drive on a motorway the same week I passed my test otherwise, with me only getting my full driving licence at 30 I would have dithered and put it off for I don't know how long. Once I had started I was fine.

    Learning to sign a different name is (I guess) a bit like signing your married name just after you get married. I hated signing my maiden name and loved signing with a flourish my first married name, now my surname is virtually impossible to sign in any nice way and it just looks 'written' rather than signed.

    Your alter-ego has a nice signature :-)

    ReplyDelete