Pages

Thursday 13 June 2024

I Didn't Crash

I went to get an x-ray on my hip today. I thought about all the different ways to get there. In the end, I decided to drive. On the way, my brakes failed, but in the least dangerous way. I was about to turn across traffic, so I wanted to slow down. Nothing happened when put my foot on the brake. As it was, I had slowed with the gears anyway and nothing was in front of me and eventually I slammed my foot down and the car stopped. Fortunately I was near the hospital and I managed to limp to the multi storey car park. Most of the time, the brakes responded normally but every now and again they were so soft and while it was maybe a few hundred yards or so, it felt like miles. 

I went and got the x-ray of my hip done. It was really quick. I was in and out in a few minutes and had practically no waiting time. As I was finding it tough to walk, I had plenty of time to notice the interesting things around when I had to pause. There's some beautiful art in the Bexley Wing of St James Hospital.

And on the way back to the car park, I noticed this black grass and I was fascinated.


I called out the AA and the nice man in a van turned up quite quickly. It was the same for him as he trundled backwards and forwards. Most of the time the brakes worked, occasionally they were soft and once they weren't there at all. He told me to follow him out of the car park, thinking that the brakes had settled down. They hadn't and I was a wreck by the time I got out. He couldn't work out what was going on. The brake fluid was fine and nothing seemed to be wrong. It was just that the brakes weren't there. I felt like I identified with the car - there's nothing wrong with me apart from not being able to walk. The AA took the car to the garage - In n Out Leeds who are awesome. They hope to look at it tomorrow.

Funnily enough, I'd booked a full, fancy, complete service and MOT for them on Monday. It just goes to show. I'm just glad that this happened today in the relatively flat spaces around St James rather than the steep hills around Mirfield where I was driving around last night picking up bear from his friends' place. 

I took a taxi back and got a pic of Gladys.


She needs to be cut back a little more, but those flowers are enormous. And when I got in, bear had a parcel.


I decided that it was either a sword or a very badly wrapped hat box. 

It turns out that it was a sword. Bear plans on taking it on the expedition (with the teacher's knowledge!) and is going to practice sword fighting with his friend who has a similar sword. At least he's more or less decided on food. Someone is taking pancake mix, someone is taking pasta and bear is taking dessert. This is loaf cake and instant custard. It's going to have to be very well packed.

It's been a long day. I'm not planning on moving much more and I'll have an early night.

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow that does sound scary! I hope they work out what's wrong with the car. Also hoping the xrays help reveal what's wrong so a plan to heal can be made. Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm still a little freaked out whenever I think of it.

      Delete
  2. That must have been scary to have the brakes fail like that! I hope the service garage can fix it! Glad you had the hip x-rayed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - scary is the right word! The garage are awesome, so I'm sure that it will be fine.

      Delete