Pages

Wednesday 7 April 2021

Red Hot Pokers

Helen - I think that you are absolutely right! I shall steer clear of putting the basil out for a while. 

Fifitr - We had the Wicked brand Black Olive Pesto. It really hits the spot with us. It's vegan, which is helpful for the various food intolerances, with cashews and basil as well as olives. I quite fancy a curry now, especially as it's so cold. 

And it is cold. I was looking at the long term weather forecast and I probably shouldn't plant anything out for at least another fortnight, if not a month. Long term weather forecasts are not an exact science, and the observations from commercial airlines have been massively reduced with the lack of flights, but the general feeling seems to be that it's likely to stay cold here for a few weeks. On the bright side, it gives me a chance to clear the garden and perhaps get some seedlings going.

I should have checked earlier. I was dithering about getting something for the concrete planters that father brought. They need to be emptied and to have a good clean (like everything else) and I definitely can't move them easily. 

(apart from the grass in the cracks, the creeper in the background is honeysuckle which has rather got away from me)

And I saw some red hot poker bulbs for sale in Morrisons a few weeks ago, but they had them on the way out, so I'm not sure how you are supposed to buy them, especially as they still have a one way system. Eventually I weakened, and bought two small plants from eBay. I love red hot pokers. My grandmother had a huge bank of them, and they bring back great memories. They should look something like this.


But mine came in a small, very damp package that looked like this.



I've got them inside, in the porch. 


The porch is unheated but should shelter them tonight. The growing instructions suggested that the plants should be planted straight away. I don't think even the hardiest would survive. I can't move the stone planters, so I couldn't plant them straight up and then bring them in and out. I think I will have to put the plants in some temporary tubs that I can bring in and out and see how the weather goes before putting them in their final position. The planters are a little cramped, but I'm hoping that a combination of a hardy variety and plenty of feeding will help. I'll keep them in the porch at night and then out in the daytime. 

By the way, don't be fooled. I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to gardening. I'm just making it up as I go along, much like everything else.

Dinner tonight was gluten free chicken nuggets with pasta and pesto and I softened up some mushrooms, half an onion left from bear's guacamole at lunch and some mushrooms with some italian herbs and gluten free worcester sauce. It was a very pleasant meal. I really need to use up the purple sweet potatoes soon, though, so I'm wondering what I can do with them. I've seen some nice recipes for roasting them, but I'm not sure what to have with them. There isn't that much in the freezer and I'm not in a rush to go out. I may fry some eggs. Why complicate things?

Mind you, bear is quite keen to try tofu. I have no idea what I'm doing with that, so I'll let him take the lead and make the suggestions. He's much more imaginative than I am.

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment