Pages

Tuesday 4 October 2022

Rice Continues

Pam - rice is one of the things that I don't check the sell by date on. I'm strict on some things, but not rice or pasta. And filling up with rice makes a lot of sense. I may check out the local Asian stores, but I shop at Tesco in Batley, with a high Asian population and this rice was on a deal for Ramadan, so hopefully I can keep an eye on things there as well.

Bless - thank you! That casserole sounds like a great idea for a dinner. I've thrown in raw rice with chicken, stock, herbs and loads of veggies and baked for a while, and it has always worked, so the soup idea sounds even better.

Eileen - thank you. I have a habit of throwing all sorts into soup, and it hasn't failed me yet!

Today's commute was grim. There was a junction on a nearby motorway closed, which led to nearby roads getting bunged up, which led to near gridlock. We left the house at pretty much 7am sharp, which normally gets bear to school around 7.30am. Today I dropped him across the road from the school around 8am after sitting in queues for ages. I waited in Tesco car park for a while to let the worst of it die down before trying to get back, and there were still challenges. I'm checking the local travel maps and that junction is still closed so heaven help us tomorrow. Bear said that he was in a classroom overlooking Reception, where late comers have to check in, and he said that there were loads of buses and coaches running late and dozens and dozens of kids having to sign in. Bear travels eight miles to the school, and there are lots of kids who travel further. If we had left at a reasonable time, bear would never have made it to school before the bell. 

This meant that I set off for pick up ridiculously early and so ended up sitting for an hour in a country park car park. It's not a very big country park, but there is a cafe and a toilet and lots of good dogs. I saw a lot of dog walkers around. I actually took some pics.






The horse chestnut wasn't looking too healthy. I didn't spot any conkers, but I saw a few cases.

I got a notification on my phone asking me to leave a review of the park on Google maps. I haven't. I've only really been to the car park. I suppose I could praise the rather basic single toilet. I was there at the weekend as well with my knitting. I found the car park incredibly relaxing but I'm not sure that Google maps are after that. 


A sculpture near the cafe. Apparently there was a cold mine here before.

We had rice with the chili con charlie tonight. It's rice all the way. I'm making notes of all the hints I'm getting from you awesome people.

DH and I were supposed to be at a meeting at school tonight. They were discussing English Language and Literature for the pupils. It's a compulsory subject and apparently all of the year are struggling after going through dozens of teachers over the last couple of years. The new teacher sounds a little more effective and bear is very much in awe of him. However as both DH and I are coughing, spluttering and aching, we decided not to share the suffering and stay home. I'm sure that we'll hear about it in due course. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember those gridlocked commutes to drop off my daughter at school and to go to work! They were the norm, not the exceptions! Didn't really matter what time of day it was! L.A. traffic is awful!
    Lovely photos of the park. Looks like a lovely place to walk. Your waiting in car parks reminds me of the times I used to wait for my daughter when she had to work for a few hours on the weekends - it was not worth my driving home to come back to pick her up - I'd take a snack and my current project, sit in the nearby park, and wait. :)
    I think you made the right decision to stay home and not go to the parents' meeting, when you weren't feeling too well. Hope you feel better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos. It is starting to look like Autumn! I hope you and husband feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the traffic issues have sorted themselves out by now or if not yet, then very soon.

    I hope the new English teacher is up to the job and is able to help the kids make up for lost time. I'm surprised the school hadn't dealt with the problem earlier.

    I hope you and DH both feel better soon and also that Bear doesn't catch whatever the two of you have. xx

    ReplyDelete