Pages

Tuesday 25 October 2022

Still Nothing Much

Thank you for the kind wishes.

I'm still flattened, but moving a little more. Bear and I had mince and mash for dinner while DH had his favourite pasta bake.

I may have got a little carried away as I ordered beef bones to go in the Morrisons order. It's too late to change it. I have no idea whether I'll have the energy to deal with it, but I was thinking of roasting the bones and then simmering them with veggies and possibly some dried beans or lentils. 

I hope that everything fits in the freezer. 

Bear continues with studying. He was talking about his maths revision. I have no idea what he was saying, but I nodded, smiled and offered food. 

Writing stuff - A small and slightly spooky story is here


Hugs and good health to you all. 

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, the dinners you prepared sound delicious! I also like your plans for the beef bones! It's 2:30 p.m., here, and I've only eaten half an apple for breakfast...time to have some lunch, I think! :D
    Your responses to bear's maths revisions are similar to what mine used to be when my daughter talked about her calculus homework. :D
    Hope you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending hugs. Even a smile and a nod is support. You're listening! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started making soup again after discovering some ancient pork and then lamb stock in our overstocked freezer. Today (Thursday) I've made chicken stock with the carcass of Sunday's roast now we've eaten all the flesh. I know all the restaurants who make stock commercially recommend roasting the bones first, but it's not something I've ever done with mine, probably because they're always leftovers. What I do do is add 2 tablespoons of herb infused cider vinegar to the stock mix to make sure the maximum amount of minerals is extracted from the bones. My favourite is mugwort, for the taste and because mugwort is also rich in minerals, so it's a double whammy. I also add some of my green powder to the stock and often to the soup as well. This is dehydrated weeds and herbs (nettles, ground elder, lovage, marjoram, nasturtium leaves etc.) that I gather, dry and then powder during the summer. Today it was lovage on its own as I've been lazy this year! I'll make the soup tomorrow with whatever I fish out of the vegetable bags plus one of the windfall apples from our tree. The tartness really lifts the flavour, especially with squash or sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete