Pages

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Approaching the 'C' word

Grumble, grumble, grumble, Christmas shopping, grumble, grumble.

To be honest, I think I am a bit late starting the Christmas shopping.  Normally I try and get a few bits over the year, and the end of summer sales are often a good chance to pick up a bargain.  I have slipped a bit this year.

This week I have started, though.  The big thing is bear.  Bear's birthday is just a few days after Christmas so I am effectively buying two lots.  However we are faced with the awful truth that bear is spoiled.  He has far too much.  I am certainly not going to spend the amount we spent last year that included a computer!

I have just put in an order for books from the Book People online.  Not only did I get a code which meant I got £8 off if I spent over £50 (far, far too easy!) but I went through TopCashBack and got 3% back, which is a lot better than nothing.  The order is a big one, but it includes books for bear, a book for father for Christmas, a present for a lovely friend of DH's, DH's Christmas present to me and a gluten free cookbook.  Book People online are definitely worth a rummage, and if you like academic or popular non fiction books it is also worth looking at Postscript which do lovely, interesting and intriguing books at a very reasonable price indeed.  I shall be raiding that for presents as well.

I will be raiding the charity shops and pound shop on the run up, but to be honest there isn't that much to get.  For most people I either get a subscription to a magazine, something 40% proof or some money in the card.  I will be making chilli vodka again for Nice Mr Next Door.  I will get candles for Nice Mrs Next Door and I will get a huge tub of sweets from Makro for the next door kids.

Bear is likely to get lots of little things so he has a pile of wrapped presents on both days, but they are likely to be the books (sets individually wrapped), pens/pencils/stationery/colouring books from the pound shop, small bits and bobs that I have scrounged from ebay etc.  I can see me calling in The Works and Wilkinsons.  I suspect that we are coming up to the last few Christmases when it isn't all about the big ticket items.

Bear is likely to get Christmas money from more than one person, and he saves his pocket money.  I am making a mental calculation.  Even if I insist on him banking half of his Christmas money, will he still have enough stashed for an X-box?  All I can say is that even if he does have the money, he is still not getting one!

2 comments:

  1. I am sort of looking forward to Christmas because the EFG will be here again but it will be our first without the FH and I am not sure how that is going to feel. Budgets will be tight as usual, but hopefully the girls will not want anything too big-ticket as they both already have most of the items they need! I shall have to get them thinking so that I know how much I need to save up - they know that they have a budget but I do occasionally allow them a little bit extra if I can afford it, or if I have vouchers saved/acquired!! Hope you are feeling better - take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many 'firsts' to get through. You have just got through your first birthday without FH, then it will be Christmas. I think your girls are lucky to have you, and I just hope that bear turns out half as good as they are. Still praying for you, you are very inspirational. WS xxx

    ReplyDelete