Pages

Monday 18 December 2017

A Parenting Win

There was a long discussion about steering wheels used to play games on the PC.  Bear and DH had an indepth examination of every review of all the steering wheels on Amazon.  There was a cost/benefit analysis.  DH and bear came to the conclusion that the steering wheels that were £200 or so were probably not that much better in terms of how long they last compared to the ones at around £30 or so.  Bear will be getting an extra present of a steering wheel, but he has also had a good lesson in making spending decisions. 

He will be 11 in 11 days.  It's still early days and I have explicity told him that the decisions are still being made by the adults.  However I think it's important that he gets the hang of how financial decisions are made so that he has at least some framework later on.  So I'm taking this as a win. 

Bear may be telling me of his deeply seated doubt about Father Christmas, but he's acting like he's desperate that he stays on the 'nice' list.  He's been absolutely lovely.  He's been helpful, polite and cheerful.  He's brought things and carried things and went with DH to the tip again (we're having a sort out). 

He's also helped DH decorate.  The house looks like a tinsel monster has just been sick over the entire house.  I approve.  All in all, it's a good day. 

6 comments:

  1. Bear is adorable! One never knows with Father Christmas! Better hedge all bets! :D I hope he gets his steering wheel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The steering wheel is on its way! And yes, he's being particularly careful at the moment. It's wonderful. Lovely to see you LMx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're raising a lovely young man. You're doing good! It's never too early to learn about finances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think bear deserves all the credit. I stumble along just like all the other parents. I try and strike a balance with bear between talking about money and making him feel worried about money. He seems to be doing okay. Thank you for the compliment, though. It feels like such a hug LM x

      Delete
  4. Yay! Since you have the Anon. button, I can comment. I loved the remark about the tinsel monster! I may have to use it.
    It’s nice that you went over figures with Bear. It surely will help him in the future.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Help yourself to the tinsel monster. It's the only explanation that makes sense here.

      I hope that bear grows up knowing to look for unit cost and to read the small print. If that's all I can give him then at least that is something. Thanks for the lovely comment LM x

      Delete