I can't move very well. I think it's something like a pulled muscle, but it's bad. But it could be worse. Yesterday we had chicken with roast potatoes, peas and gravy. It was all frozen stuff, apart from the gravy granules, but it was nice and I managed to get things into the oven (though DH took things out for me). There was a nice amount of chicken left over from the frozen chicken breast joint, which there should have been at the price of it. Bear and I had it in curry tonight, and there's a portion of the curry leftover as well. Again, it wasn't inspired, as it was the curry sauce in a jar with mushrooms and onions that I'd previously chopped and frozen.
It got me thinking. The frozen chicken breast was £6.65 (very nearly the devil) for 800g and we got six very ample portions from it, and absolutely could have spread it over more without stinting. But there's a large chicken at Tesco that's on offer for £4.60 Clubcard price that's 1.7-2.1kg (around three and three quarters to four and one half pounds) and the fresh chicken is barn raised. It's not free range, but with all the problems with bird flu, it could be worse. It's roughly a third of the price by weight. And the potatoes aren't cost effective either.
But I have struggled so much over the last few years that I'm concerned that a lot of a proper chicken would go to waste. And with all the problems with farming and the weather, it feels worse than ever to waste food. I've always failed at making stock, and when bear is back at university, a small chicken will be more than enough. I think that once my back is a little less twitchy, I'm going to have to sort out the kitchen and make some decisions. I want to make it easier for me to make a proper meal and that means streamlining ingredients, keeping lists, and being thorough. After all, making the curry was a lot easier because I had the veg that I'd previously prepared and frozen ready, and that made a difference. I need to make realistic choices.
I haven't done anything worth taking a pic today, as I've been working on writing stuff, so I had a little play with Canva again. I'm not sure about how the text turned out, but I looked for a sunny quote after the eclipse and the end of the relentless heatwave.
Writing stuff - I've had a few battles with the transfer today, but it's continuing. The latest instalment of The Guest is on the blogger blog here and the wordpress blog here.
Hugs and good health to all

No comments:
Post a Comment