Pages

Sunday 13 April 2014

Still waiting

I have still not received my sewing machine, and I probably won't for a few days which gives me time to clear a space for it.  I have also bought very inexpensively a book called 'Half a Yard Heaven' which is a book of small projects.

Sweet Blondie Blue Eyes - I nearly fell off my chair when I saw how much you paid for your sewing machine!  I suspect you are right, you get what you pay for.  I am holding back on getting a more expensive machine until I know I am going to get the use out of it.

I know that already I won't be able to do one project that I have found - a bottle carrier.  The pattern tells you to quilt the fabric and my machine is only supposed to go up to 6mm thickness.  Sewing two or three thicknesses of quilted fabric isn't going to work, but that's okay. I may try making it in fleece.

Yesterday I bought two duvets from a charity shop for £8 (and a t-shirt for bear, he will look gorgeous), and I thought when the machine does come it would be great to start with those.  I shall go on ebay after Easter to say hello to my friend and get a bulk lot of bias binding which features very heavily in the patterns.

I am going to have a go at the projects in the book using the material from the duvet covers to get used to the machine.  It's a case of 'Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway'.  Then I have curtains to shorten in the two downstairs rooms and curtains to make for DH's room.  I'll have to hem them by hand as the machine would never take the three thicknesses of a double folded hem, but I would do that anyway and a bit of herringbone hem stitch doesn't take long.

After that I will be starting my first real project - winciette pyjamas/nightie.  I haven't been able to get them for me and I really feel the cold at night.  I shall look for Kwik Fit Patterns (thank you rabbitquilter) and keep my fingers crossed.  It will probably be winter again by the time I get to those, as I am not planning on hurrying.

2 comments:

  1. Actually I did not pay that, but that was the recommended price of the machines. The one they brought out this year is £6,500, needless to say I will not be swapping!!

    You may find that if you do not use too thick a wadding and a walking foot for your machine you could do some straight quilting. I have the half yard book too, its great for using up scraps. If you are wanting to do some quilting I suggest you look at Missouri Star Quilt Company web page and watch some of Jenny Doan's videos. She does some real neat tricks with fabricc and very simple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been away for a few days so I missed the post about your new machine. I am very impressed! I have an old machine that came from my Mother in Law. It does the job. I am looking forward to hearing about your projects. You go girl! Lesley x

    ReplyDelete