Pages

Sunday 20 June 2021

A Rose by Any Other Name

I've only started buying flowers for the last few months, so I'm still working things out. The latest bunch of flowers from Aldi are already wilting (Morrisons and Tesco are usually good for two weeks). At the same time, the white rose in my garden is going to have to be cut back as it's top heavy. 

In theory I could bring in some of the roses. They would look lovely. Unfortunately, they are heavily colonised by aphids. I'm not sure I'm ready for free range aphids in my study. 

Any suggestions welcome.

Father's Day has gone quite well here. Poor DH has to cook his own dinner as I can't cook steak. I managed to find a lemon meringue pie for dessert, one of DH's favourites. There don't seem to be many in the shops and perhaps they aren't in fashion. I should perhaps make my own but I don't have a good track record. The first time I attempted lemon meringue pie was at school. My poor mother was horrified when the list of the ingredients included 'lemon meringue pie mix'. She did not approve at all! If we were going to learn to cook, we should learn to cook properly. I knew she expected a lot from the mix, and the pie looked great. It's a shame I dropped it on the floor during English with a sort of blast radius effect.

The second time I tried lemon meringue pie was also something of a fail. I managed the pate sucre for the pie crust (a bit crunchy, but acceptable) and the meringue was fine. The lemon filling, however, oozed out of the pie with the consistency of thin cream. 

I used to be able to cook at one point, but I seem to have lost the skill. I think I need to find it again.

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment