Pages

Thursday 25 November 2021

Almost Did It!

Jeanie - thank you! I think I've made a day of it.

Kate - At least you are keeping on top of stuff. Here, things are never finished because a lot of the time they're never started!

Yesterday I wrote a list of things that I wanted to get done. I'm reporting back. 

The first job was to drop bear off and then pick up some salad for DH. Pic for proof.


Morrisons have the fresh wreaths in, and I have been considering how soon I should put them up. I love the fresh scent. 

I picked up some other bits we needed, like cereal and water (our water from the tap tastes foul) and then went for a walk in Batley Park. It is well and truly autumn here, and I was slipping on the stones and holes underneath the leaves.


I also noticed this. I'm sure it must have been here for some time, but I don't remember seeing it before.


It was set into the foot of a tree, and I thought it was very intriguing. I'll try and get a better pic tomorrow.

I took a slightly longer walk than I would normally do, but not too much. Bear likes to be dropped off at around 7.45am and Batley Mill Outlet doesn't open until 9.30am, so I had some time to kill, even after nipping into Morrisons. I still got to the Outlet early, and went to see what the opening hours on the sewing shop were. 


I was unsurprised that it was closed. I can never follow a plan, a recipe or a knitting pattern to the letter. But at least I have their number now, so I can ring them tomorrow to see how I can book in my sewing machine for a service. I went to the Works Outlet anyway and bought some bits for bear for Christmas. There wasn't much that I thought he would like. He likes what he likes and I am not getting a load of rubbish for it to gather dust until it hits the rubbish bin or is added to the next charity shop run.

I then headed to IKEA, which is on the way home, and picked up the veggie meatballs and some of the horseradish that bear likes. I took another photo for proof. 

And this is the lamp that I actually resisted buying. I am a little surprised that I managed it. I'm not sure I'll be able to resist on a regular basis.


Then I went home, stopping off at Matalan to pick up some jeans for bear (did I mention the growth spurt). 

My average number of steps over the last month or so has been a shameful 2000 or so steps. By the time I got out of Matalan it was over 6500 and I was feeling it. By the time I dragged the washing from bear's room and put a load on, I could barely move. It was 11.45 at this point, so I made myself some lunch and gave up on the garden for today. I did, however, completely empty the car, so I can have a go tomorrow and take the weeds and trimmings to the tip.

I left to pick up bear around 2.10pm. It's tricky, because if you time it wrong, you can end up stuck in traffic. In the morning, without the traffic, the run takes around 25 minutes. In the afternoon, with other schools getting out and all the business traffic, it can take a lot longer. But if I go at a time that doesn't mean I sit in traffic queues for half an hour, I'm usually there at least half an hour before bear is due at the car park, but I did get my knitting in.  

On the way home, bear shared that the costume designer in his drama GCSE group was expected to create costumes with a budget for the group of five or six of £50. I can't sew for toffee, but I know a few things about shopping, and I told bear I was willing to share links and ideas if he wanted. I mean, half way decent cotton that isn't see through is around £4-5 per metre in the shops. Then you have to add on thread, buttons, zips and all the rest of it. £50 is barely going to touch it. Bear said that they had access to some costumes, and they could alter charity shop finds, and that the £50 was what they would be reimbursed and that they could top it up, but even so, it's a hard ask. The students who are identified as costume designers are going to be judged on what they produce. I passed on suggestions about charity shop curtains and beddings, and cheap second hand wedding dresses, but what a stretch!

Unfortunately, this led to me seeing if I still had the fabric that I bought years and years ago. It's around a roll of the stuff, nice and shiny and still fairly okay. I cut off a hank to show bear and it wasn't rotten or fading. Unfortunately, I was reminded of why I need my sewing machine sorted out because I really want to make the cushion covers and curtains that I planned with it. Or donate it, of course. 

I'm making a list of what to do tomorrow. I'll share how that goes. 

Hugs and good health to all.

3 comments:

  1. I bought 2 of the Tarnaby lamps for our bedside tables. My husband put them on the Edwardian sideboard and enthused over how good they looked there. We bought 2 more for the bedroom!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a busy day you made me dizzy .. very impressed with your step achievements I try for the 10.000 mark but only occasionally do it ..the old limbs dictate the pace these days …hopefully you can get your machine sorted out soon ..I also like that lamp have resisted it twice now but the temptation is great .. intriguing the door in the tree fairy clan do you think ? Look forward to hearing more of your adventures x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the lists! I am terrible at making them. Thinking about making them is as close as it gets lol.

    I love that little door in the tree - what a fabulous find! Be careful on those leaves. My walking friend broke her leg last year when she slipped on a tree root hidden beneath some leaves.

    ReplyDelete