Pages

Tuesday, 28 July 2026

I'm Old Enough to Know Better

I'm getting blog post notifications in weird ways. Some seem to be giving me the notices of new posts then older, then some blogs seem to be missing, and then sometimes I get a whole list of the posts for the last three months all in one chunk. My comments may be patchy.

I don't know if it was an evening when I'd had a drink, or I was just a little more confused than normal, but I bought this. 


I do not need 500 potato recipes. I'm fine making mash and wedges, and I usually prefer pasta. But here we are. It's what happens when I have unsupervised access to Temu. It came from a firm in this country, Smeikal Books, who are selling through Temu as well as Amazon and eBay, and I saved 31p buying it from Temu instead of the company direct, at a grand total of £5.68 including postage. 

As an aside, I just made a mistake where I absolutely should know better. I checked out the website of Smeikal Books and it looks like a source of inexpensive books, which I do not need! 

So now I have a book with 500 potato recipes, a preference for pasta, and an unfortunate urge to try out the recipes. I mean, 500 potato recipes? There's got to be something special in there. I opened the book at random.

The first recipe I saw was Beef and Sweet Potato Stew - that sounded good, and I looked further. I don't think that I'll be making it, though, as it's not just beef and sweet potato. The ingredients list is:

1 large pumpkin around 5kg or 11lb
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1kg of braising steak, cubed
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 fresh red chillies, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
2 fresh bay leaves (and I have no idea where I'm going to get those as I don't grow them)
1 pint of beef stock
one half bottle of red wine
500g of potatoes, peeled and cubed
500g of sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 corn cob cut widthways into 6 pieces (and I'm not sure about how that would work)
3 peaches, peeled, stoned, and cut into wedges
salt and ground black pepper.

It's supposed to serve 8, and that's not a bad stretch of the meat, but two unlucky souls won't get a slice of the corn on the cob. 

And what the hecking heck are peaches doing in the recipe? 

You are supposed to serve it in the baked shell of the pumpkin. I think that I'll pass. I'm not ready for any recipe that involves an eleven pound pumpkin. I looked further, and there's a recipe which mashes cooked potato with apples cooked with a couple of cloves, which is served with fried blood sausage and onion rings which sounds more plausible, though I may use 'normal' sausages or perhaps chorizo. 

I am absolutely old enough to know better than to get too attached to a book like this, and it's absolutely the wrong time of year for main crop potatoes. I'll share when I cook something from it. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment