Pages

Sunday 11 August 2024

Handwash

Father told me that he once got caught talking in class when he was a kid and the teacher made him stand at the front and talk for five minutes about a matchbox. If you stick strictly to the matchbox, it's surprisingly hard to talk for that long. Normally I would say that I was the best candidate to talk about matchboxes because I can usually find a story in everything. That's not been working for me recently, and I think I'm just looking inward too much. 

Besides, there's not that much going on. Here is a bottle of handwash that I have in my bathroom.


And it's looming larger and larger in my life. I don't like the stuff. It smells of plastic roses and it's far too strong. It may not have originally been that pungent. I had a really good stockpile of handsoap back in 2018, long before the pandemic, and I think that it may have been festering. It's still soapy, however, and I would feel wasteful and feckless if I just dumped it out, no matter how tempted I felt. But it isn't nice. And that is one of the main things hanging around in my head - handwash. It's not on the Asda website anymore, but the current equivalent is around 85p. I've already suffered through half. I am agonising over 40p. And the principle of waste not want not, of course, but still, 40p and a lot of mental energy.

I also got rid of a sweater. I knitted it before we moved into this house, if I remember rightly, and that makes it over thirty years old. I used acrylic and the poor thing had dropped ridiculously and was so brittle and scratchy that it seemed the best thing to do. I was very proud of it at the time.



I really liked the neck detail, but I made rather a mess of sewing it up.


So at least I've made a little space. I've been meaning to get around to discarding it for ages, so that's a big step.

I've still got a few health bits going on, but I'm working on being more positive.

Hugs and good health to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you can find an alternate use for the hand wash. Maybe use it to clean the toilet (pour a generous amount and flush it down!) That is a lovely sweater, but, well done decluttering it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Repurpose your soap for other cleaning activities. Make up a solution and keep it in a spray bottle to squirt blackfly on the runner beans. Use it for washing windows, or making your greenhouse sparkle at the end of thhe summer. Use it to rinse out the kitchen bin...
    And donate the jumper to a charity shop, even if nobody wants the garment to wear, they can get paid for it as textile waste.
    As a child I loved keeping little treasures in matchboxes. Now one box lasts me years, as I rarely use them (back then matches were in constant use to light gas rings and the fire in the grate and garden bonfires...)

    ReplyDelete