Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Grey Day

Things could be worse and I know it, but I just feel so flat today.

Today I have not done anything compared to yesterday, although the washer and dryer have been going non stop.  Uncle was not on good form.  He was cheerful enough at the start, but he is still in pain with his leg and he kept asking why it had been amputated.  Worryingly he couldn't work his phone, and he's been permanently attached to it for the last ten years.

Bear has come home with a note to ask for fancy dress on the 22nd May.  This isn't bad notice, so I am not complaining.  He has to come as a character from fairy tales or traditional stories.  He wanted to go as Puss in Boots.

In the end, with the help of my friend ebay, we found a 'Robin Hood' costume that should do it.  Out of curiosity I had a look at sewing patterns for boy's fancy dress.  I did this safe in the knowledge that the sewing machine will not be ready to use then.

If you have the material already, and the cotton etc, and the time, then you may possibly be able to make the costumes cheaper than you can buy them, but it would be a stretch.  As a cost saving exercise it wouldn't work unless you stuck to old sheets.  However if you wanted something awesome and amazing with quality stuff then you would be better off sewing them.

One day, when the stars are in the right alignment and I have finally cracked the sewing machine, I will make these matching costumes for DH and bear, and it will be so much fun.


btw I think DH is much better looking than the model.  Bear is, of course, gorgeous.  They will look amazing if I can pull off what looks like a challenging pattern.  Something to work up to.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the costumes! Hope tomorrow is a better day for you X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wannabe sybil9 May 2014 at 09:55

      This time round, when it comes to the costume, ebay is my friend. Next time - who knows?! WS xxx

      Delete
  2. When my children were little I made loads of fancy dress outfits, some I just made up, some from Jane Asher's fancy dress book, I wish I still had the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wannabe sybil9 May 2014 at 19:24

      I honestly think that when/if I get confident and learn my way around the techniques that making the costumes will honestly be better. That may be some time off... I wish I could see the pics as well, I bet they look amazing. WS xxx

      Delete