Pages

Friday 30 September 2016

Is it going to be worth it?

It's the dratted yarn for the dratted pattern that I really, really, really want to try.

The pattern calls for 5 x 100g balls of colour A, 4 x 100g balls of colour B and 3 x 100g balls of colour C all in Rowan Big Wool.  That's 12 balls of yarn which are being sold by Deramores (who are known for their competitive prices) at £9.29 a ball.  That's a total of £111.48.  Rowan Big Wool is 100% merino wool, 80 yards, 100g, recommended needle 10mm, and in a range of delicious colours.  The link is here

When looking at the yarn that I'm using for a current project, I found this.  It is Marriners Super Chunky, 100% acrylic, 80 yards, 100g, recommended needle 10mm and in a range of very pleasant colours.  It is only £1.00 for a 100g ball.  That would make the cost of the yarn for the jacket £12.

A jacket that costs £111.48 is a luxury and an indulgence.  A jacket that costs £12 is a reasonable purchase and could be cost effective.  Besides, Rowan Big Wool is probably warmer and softer, but it is hand wash only according to Rowan.

I'll see how I feel when I've finished the current stuff.

The covers have come through for the Forgotten Village and Digging up the Past.  I've finished editing them, added the covers and now I am waiting on Smashwords and Amazon to finish going through them.  I'm keeping everything crossed for Smashwords accepting an amended manuscript.

Here's the new cover for the Forgotten Village


And here is the cover for Digging up the Past, which is much improved.


The covers are by Melissa Alvarez who is awesome!

As soon as the books have passed through Smashwords I'll put up a code for Digging up the Past so people who have previously bought it can get a decent copy.

And all that done mainly without glasses as they currently hurt my nose.  I think it's going to be an interesting few days.

3 comments:

  1. Because I'm so cheap I might go with the cheaper one, but I'm sure the more expensive wool feels a lot better than the other. Is there something in the middle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wool will be warmer but unless one is very careful when washing it, it felts! I can't tell you how many sweaters I've knitted and had it felt on me because I forgot and tossed it in the washing machine! I'll go with the acrylic yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love the covers for both of them.
    I'm cheap too, I always use acrylic but then I only make baby blankets that need washing a lot.
    I hope your nose feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete