I went out into the garden, and I was finally able to take pics. I wasn't sure how well that they'd come out, as there was a lot of glare on the screen, but I hope that they count, and I've published earlier than usual as I want to post before I forget.
I've been putting off the garden for ages, but I pushed myself out of the door with the new gardening gloves.
They are neither thorn proof nor nettle proof, despite the product description online. I am deeply unimpressed.
The garden is a jungle. The first thing I tackled was the brambles overhanging the wall onto the public path at the side of our house.
I can only stand for around five minutes at a time, so it took a few moments, but I got it clearer.
I don't know if you can see the cluster of ripe blackberries, but I left them and I intend to send out bear to pick them later.
The brambles are all over the place and vicious with it, but to really get to them, I'll need to hack back the rose.
It's absolutely gorgeous, covered with roses and perhaps the best showing I've seen for years. It's one that father planted and it's done very well. I don't think that I can cut it down in full bloom, so I'll just have to prune around it. Perhaps I can bring myself to cut it thoroughly back next spring.
Gladys is also doing well. It's growing more vigorously than it has for years, although there aren't so many blossoms.
There's all sorts growing in the garden. I wouldn't be surprised if I found a lost tribe or King Solomon's Mines. I found this little plant, and wondered if it was a teasel, a plant whose seed heads were used in the production of woollen cloth. I'm in West Yorkshire and it was a weaving centre even before the Industrial Revolution.
I had a look online, and as far as I can tell, it's not the plant that the weavers used. At first glance it looked like I could have globe flatsedge growing in my garden, but that seemed unlikely as it's native to the Eastern United States, from Mississippi up to Wisconsin, but not really known in Europe. I'm not exactly sure what it is, and I think that I may have already pulled it up, so who knows?
I spent around an hour outside. I need to be a little careful, as around ten years ago I had an easily treated, not very threatening, very small skin cancer, so I am aiming to go out early in the morning, late in the evening and while it's cloudy, which it is here today. I could only do stuff in short bursts, but I managed something.
The four bin bags aren't overstuffed, but they're full enough to be loaded up in the car and taken to the tip. Apart from clearing the path, I made a very small dent.
If you look at the picture of the roses above, you can see that there is now a very small difference. If all goes to plan (and when does it ever do that here?) I'll do a little more tomorrow.
Hugs and good health to all.
That's a good start.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It felt that I was doing something, and I hope that will help me to continue.
DeleteLovely! Breaking down such a huge project into short bursts is working. Keep going. I need do the same with my photos and slides:)
ReplyDeleteI think that if I look at it as ten minutes or fifteen minutes, in such a small space, I'll have a gorgeous garden by next year. Good look with your awesome photos!
DeleteHiya, I think the plant is wood avens :-)
ReplyDeleteI had a look, and it does look like that, and the leaves look familiar. I think that I remember the yellow flowers earlier in the year as well. Thank you!
DeleteYour new gloves are beautiful, even if they are not thorn or nettle proof. And the roses are gorgeous and Gladys is as beautiful as ever. I've read that fuchsia flowers are edible and I'm wondering if you've ever tried eating them? My neighbor has a fuchsia plant growing in a hanging pot, but, I don't think he'd appreciate me reaching over the garden wall to pick his flowers to try munching on them! LOL.
ReplyDeleteYou got a lot done in the garden! Enjoy the blackberries (I've tried growing them without any luck; blackberries are quite expensive to buy at the grocery store).
The gloves are so pretty, and if the brambles weren't quite so vicious, I'd be very happy with them.
DeleteI haven't tried eating any of the fuchsia. I know that the berries are edible, but the local sparrows would be aggressively upset if I took their snack. I don't think I've seen a ripe berry on there for years - the birds get to them so quickly!
It's amazing how even a small tidy up makes such a big difference.
ReplyDeleteIt feels like you can see the difference in the garden, but the biggest difference I think is the difference in my attitude. I feel much more optimistic.
DeleteGreat start! The flowers are looking lovely
ReplyDeleteThank you! It may be a mess, but the flowers are bringing me a lot of joy.
Delete