Pages

Thursday 23 November 2017

Gas? What Gas?

Apparently, when Scottish Power put in the smart meter on the gas in our house they forgot to tell their computers about it.  And, due to automation, no-one seemed to find it odd that we had a smart meter for electric and estimated readings for gas.  So I spent half the morning on hold and the other half trying the patience of someone really lovely while working out exactly what bit of the sticker I was supposed to be reading to them, while bending in an awkward corner (whoever installed the meter must have hated meter readers) and waving a torch around.  Now they know we have gas.  I am braced to see what comes up, but they seem to think that I have used less than estimated so I shouldn't get hit by a large bill.  Back in the early nineties we ended up with a lot of estimated bills for gas when they didn't realise that gas central heating had been installed and their estimates were so wildly low that when it all caught up we found ourselves with a bill for over £700.  I'm taking nothing for granted until it's all sorted out.

Shopping continues.  I have a weakness for tinned beans and sausage.  It's not exactly healthy, but it could be worse.  It's gluten free, it's quick, it's easy and, most importantly, bear and his pals will all eat it for lunch, even the fussy ones. 


Currently it's on offer at Morrisons for 5 for £3 or 60p each instead of £1.05.  I stocked up.  However there is barely room in my cupboards.  I also have a small stock of Heinz tomato soup, tinned tomatoes and lots of tinned chickpeas and kidney beans.  I can barely move.  I have also started stocking up the Christmas treats.  Heaps are starting to form.  In addition I invested in a Morrisons Wonky Veg box which seems good value for money but is also adding to the congestion. 

Meanwhile boxes keep arriving and I can't move for cardboard.  Until DH takes the old piano stool (which is not salvageable) to the tip, it is stuck in the middle of our living room, blocking the flow of traffic and getting in the way.  I am feeling overwhelmed. 

I also have a massive Approved Food order on the way.  Memo to self - do not order from Approved Food while under the influence of alcohol.  It never ends well.  I've got some good stuff coming, and a lot of it will be stashed for Christmas, but I have also bought a bottle of spirits of salts.  I am not exactly sure what spirits of salts are but I think I've seen reference to them in books of Victorian household hints.  Apparently it's good for drains.  I'm not sure I'm safe with it.

I can't use it on the steps down to the kitchen.  They are looking very green and are getting slippery when it rains, which they do at this time every year.  However I saw a toad crawl into the cupboard under the steps so the normal method of 'wait until it rains and douse everything liberally with bleach' isn't going to happen.  I suppose I can try scrubbing with some soapy water, but I'm not sure how the toad would take that.  I'll have to consider my options. 

3 comments:

  1. I hope you won't receive a huge gas bill! I recall when the water and power company sent me bills based on estimated usage and then, sent me a huge bill saying their estimates were wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I have two suggestions to get rid of the algae on your steps. After brushing them, using a squeegee to scrape off the remnants should remove it. If the surface isn’t smooth, using some sand and brushing it off should clear it. Neither will harm the toad.
    Carol from West Lothian

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a smart meter for electric and LP for our gas fireplace which we have to take care of ourselves. A company arrives to fill the tank each fall and leaves a bill. Hubby is a fan of Beenie Weenies which is similar to your Heinz. But a can less than half that size is a dollar to $1.25. He will have them for lunch on occasion at work.
    Sounds as if you are well on your way to being set for the Christmas Holidays. ;) I had 16-here yesterday for Thanksgiving. Went from 8 t0 16 overnight. I was a basket case until all was fed and out into the sunshine to enjoy a mild day. Today is actually Thanksgiving but I had mine early. I don't cook today! :) Will recover from all the company and kiddo's and finally watch the new season of Stranger Things. I'm not familiar with spirits of salts so let me know what all you use it for. I use baking soda and vinegar for drains on a weekly basis so they stay on my good side. ;) Good luck on evicting the toad...I would still be standing on a chair screaming for hubby to catch that monster. haha

    ReplyDelete