Pages

Saturday 4 November 2017

Thinking Freezers

I need a new freezer.  I have been writing on this blog about my need for a new freezer for easily over a year.  I am definitely going for it at the end of the month. 

I am so looking forward to getting a space where I feel I can put frozen food in and feel confident about eating it when it comes out.  However, lack of confidence in frozen food isn't new.  I fail at freezing.  If I ever try to freeze soup or similar, I never have the confidence to use it later.  Or I look at it and think, 'meh, can't be bothered'.  Or it gets shoved in the back until the next time I come to defrost the freezer and I realise it's been in there for so long that it thinks bear is still a baby. 

I still need a freezer, but I'm not sure I need a big freezer.  The current model is a big upright freezer.  It's great for someone who freezes the bargains they find or who freezes stuff from the garden or who batch cooks and freezes.  I have never successfully batch cooked and I'm not going to try and fool myself that I will in the future. 

I am seriously considering going for a smaller freezer.  It will cost less as an initial investment and there is less chance of things being lost in there never to see light again.  It will reduce the chances of me having six different bags of frozen peas, all open and half used.  It will limit my ability to freeze bargains but the only time I can think it would make a difference for me is the once a year gluten free sale at Tesco as their gluten free chicken nuggets are really, really nice.  But all the money saving places say that I need a big freezer to save money. 

Bear is fine.  The thump with the football seems to have worn off quickly.  He his now looking with interest at the packages that are starting to pile up ready for Christmas.  I don't want to even think about how much I'm spending on him.  However I think I've got all the big presents sorted out. 

5 comments:

  1. Glad Bear is okay. Wow, you're doing better than me with the packages. I go on Amazon to buy something for someone and end up sticking something in the basket for me too! That's no way to shop lol.

    I'm thinking of downsizing our freezer. Now that the kids are gone we don't really need one, but I like being able to buy 'bargains' and freeze them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to smile when you said you never batch cooked and were never likely to in the future. I can't cook small amounts of food. Once I got to university and was regularly cooking for six, it wasn't such a change to then cook for a family of five for twenty five years although there was rarely leftovers. The largest I have ever catered for on my own was my parents golden and our silver wedding celebration when I catered for 130 people and swore I would never do it again. I've been cooking for my parents and now just my father for the past six years which involves between 4-8 hours of batch cooking meals, puddings and cakes to freeze on the day before we visit. Otherwise I'll cook cauldrons full of food for us to eat the next day and freeze the rest into portions once I'm at the farm. We ask everyone who comes to our festival to bring food to share for all the meals. I usually cook enough for 10-15 for three separate meals and we eat fairly well with loads of wholesome home cooked stuff. I've never been worried about eating soup I've made and frozen - I make gallons of it at a time. It usually lasts the three of us for a week and leftovers are frozen for times when there isn't time or I'm too tired to cook. My daughter complains there is nothing to eat in our freezers except soup and fruit from the garden and I have to admit I've never ever done a freezer audit and there have been times when the meat I've taken out to stew has probably been ten years old but since it's cooked for three hours, there's really no problem as long as it tastes ok.That's where spices come into their own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I remember another blogger recently bought a fridge with just an ice box and it works for her. We used to have a small under counter freezer and we managed fine. Buy the right appliance that suits your lifestyle is what I would say and it sounds like you know what that is.
    I am going to use the second comment for my email re: the book so you won't have to publish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sybil my email is vivienrye@yahoo.co.uk
    looking forward to reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of those side-by-side fridge/freezers. Prior to that, I had a fridge with a freezer on the top, and that was enough for our family of 3 (my parents and I) when we lived in the apartment. Go with the smaller freezer, especially if you don't freeze a lot of items.

    ReplyDelete