Pages

Sunday 19 November 2017

Questions from Bear

Sarah - that is an awesome video and I found it really helpful.  Thank you. 

Also, thank you to all the kind wishes, I don't feel I deserve them, but I am very grateful.

I'm sorry I've been missing.  It's a very long and dull story.  However I thought I would get back to business with a question that bear asked me last week.

Apparently the school were 'doing Christianity' in RE last week and bear came home and announced he wanted to read the Bible.  I was mildly surprised. I am a Christian (not a good one, but I do my best) but bear has had quite a secular upbringing and I am as careful as I can not to disparage any other religions.  I dig out a New Living Translation Bible and leave bear to it.

Bear reads through Genesis.  I make approving noises but don't push.  He starts on Exodus.  I continue to make approving noises but I am bracing myself to deal with some of the questions about the laws.  I mention very clearly that the sacrifice of Jesus has freed us from the Law of the Old Testament and keep everything crossed that I can keep up.  Then one night bear comes down and carefully asks, 'Mum, what's circumcision?'

I explain to the best of my ability.  We both have full body cringes.  He goes back to bed.  He hasn't mentioned reading the Bible since and I know I should be sorry but I'm also incredibly relieved.  I hope that this hasn't given bear a distaste for Christianity.  I am also quite glad that bear thinks that it's okay to ask me questions.  I just hope that the next questions are about something easier, like land tenure in the Danelaw or the legal foundations of the Agricultural Revolution.  I'd find them a lot easier.

3 comments:

  1. Good to see you back and Ok. I have had a few postless days - life just gets too busy!
    I remember those difficult times - not easy being a parent. I think I was probably in my twenties before I even knew about circumcision and it certainly wasn't from my parents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know you and yours are well. Oh this made me smile. Our ds is circumcised so I never had to answer that question. And so glad I didn't. ;) Boys! You did very well fielding the questions. Like you...I am Christian and not the best out there but I'm trying. And ds was way better at reading his Bible than I was at reading mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you handled bear's questions very well. :) At least he's still asking you instead of doing an on-line search!

    ReplyDelete