Pages

Saturday 25 November 2017

I'm Learning About Fountain Pens


I don't actually want to learn about fountain pens.  I tried them when I was younger and it didn't end well.  The main ink in those days did not wash out easily, if at all.  Apparently you can get washable ink these days.  I shall believe it when I see it.  That will probably be quite soon.

Bear somehow found himself watching a YouTube video about someone writing with fountain pens.  They were knowledgeable, articulate and were able to throw in enough jargon and then explain it to completely hook bear's attention.  He came home from school yesterday and asked carefully, 'Do they sell fountain pens in England?'  I told him that, yes, fountain pens were available in England.  'Do they sell them in Leeds?' he asked with equal care.  Yes, I said, there are plenty of places in Leeds where you can buy fountain pens.  'Great,' he says.  'We can go now.'

My instinctive reaction was to tell him that anything like a fountain pen was not going to happen this close to Christmas and his birthday and he would have to wait.  On the other hand, I can only get bear to leave the house under extreme duress or to play football on Tuesday evenings.  He was volunteering to get out of the house!  I got my coat and out we went.

We called in at Rymans, in the Merrion Centre and a wonderful assistant helped us find an inexpensive pen, ink cartridges (apparently there are international standard cartridges, who knew?) and some expensive paper that was slightly heavier weight than standard.  Bear explained that it had to be greater than 80gsm for the best writing experience and to avoid 'bleed through'.  I was just glad he was in an actual shop so he got away with it.  Further supplies may come out of his pocket money.

Bear has had a lot of issues with writing.  It is one of the constants of his parents' evenings.  Bear is awesome but his handwriting is like the footprints of a drunken ant that has fallen into an inkwell and hit its head on the way out.  It is very hit and miss, and it gives him blisters.  However in the twenty four hours that bear has owned a fountain pen he has filled page after expensive page with legible handwriting, I think he is half way down his second ink cartridge and he doesn't have blisters.  I'm happy to encourage the fountain pen, especially if I can find a good source for the paper. 

3 comments:

  1. Hope bear continues to enjoy his fountain pen. We were required to write with a fountain pen from Grade 4 on. I remember my mother buying me the pen, a bottle of blue ink, and blotting paper. Ball point pens were not allowed at school. I had several fountain pens, but don't have a single one, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Bear and his fountain pen.
    I used to love mine and went on to develop a love of calligraphy.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't that lovely! There is something magical about writing with a fountain pen. There are some fab coloured inks (in cartridges) that you could try, if his interest starts to wane at all.
    When I started work (about 34 years or so ago) my boss used to hand write everything with a fountain pen, and he used peacock blue ink. Up until that moment, my fountain pen and I had only seen three colours - blue, black, and royal blue. I had to get a new fountain pen, as coloured cartridges weren't available for whatever model I had, and for several years I used peacock blue, brown, and purple inks.
    I'm actually getting a bit nostalgic for it now, having typed that. I might have to find my fountain pen and write something with it.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete