Pages

Tuesday 13 March 2018

New Yarn!!!

I think this is an absolute first for me in over forty years of knitting.  I made a project with the recommended yarn!


I got some Red Heart Scrubby yarn on a good deal from Amazon and I knitted a cloth to use in the shower.  I thought I could do with a couple of them as the yarn washes and will tumble dry so I could just use once for a nice, scrubby and exfoliating experience, then bung in the washer while getting the next out of the pile.  I was planning on doing a square, but I saw this free pattern and decided to go for it.  To be fair, it took me around an hour and a half, but a lot of that was dropping pens, dropping needles and fielding bear's comments.  I wasn't sure how much yarn I would need for a scrubby so I got five balls.  I finished that one shown and there is loads of the first ball left.  I may easily get two or even three out of a ball.  That will be great, giving me a good pile of robust wash cloths. 

It was parents' evening tonight.  We had the usual about bear's handwriting (he's working on it.  It's still not a thing of beauty), but bear is coasting a little.  So he's only in the top four or five in the class instead of being outright the best.  It's not a bad thing to have at a parent's evening - only in the top four or five.  Now all I have to do is try and get bear motivated to push a little harder for the last four months in this school even though he has already made it to grammar school and is sailing through with less effort.  I worry that if I don't then bear will have an even bigger shock at grammar school where all of his class managed to pass the insanely competitive entrance exam.  Or I could leave him to it until next September when the fun really begins! 

6 comments:

  1. I like that scrubby you knitted! What happened with the real sheep's wool you showed earlier? Did you find out if you were allergic to it? I, too, have bought some yarn (acrylic stuff) that was on sale and I've been trying to knit myself a sweater with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking for some cotton gloves so I can knit the yarn. Once I stopped using it, my hands calmed right down. Also, I think your yarn is my favourite type of yarn - on sale! I am confident that your sweater will turn out awesome. LM x

      Delete
  2. I would leave Bear to it and just encourage what interests him. After the SATS they should be doing a school play or something else to keep them busy. When he gets to the Grammar School, they will sort him out. Yes it will be different, yes it will be challenging but if the school is worth its salt, they will make it fun. My only advice is to take up all offers of visits beforehand. With any luck he should get invites to play days (to try out the sport facilities), concerts and maybe even a play. Make sure he doesn't miss the first day of term in September when they do the orientation stuff. One of my piano pupils was part of a rubics cube Guinness book of records award event with Blue Peter in Salford on the first day of his secondary school. I think it took him a whole term to catch up because he missed being shown where everything was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The letter confirming a place including some dates - and we will definitely be attending! I agree with you about the importance of starting on the first day. I knew a girl when I was at school whose parents always took the first fortnight of September off on holiday. It was long before term time holiday fines, but she always seemed to be a little off balance. Your pupils sound amazing. Thank you for reassuring me. I think you're right about easing off a little. I'm sure bear will keep himself amused one way or another lol! LM x

      Delete
  3. It will be a good challenge for him. I know it was for my daughter. We moved her from her 'home' school where she was the only student in her class in the academically talented program to another school where there were several students in the program. It was more of a challenge for her and pushed her to do better.

    How was that scrubby yarn to knit with? I've seen it about a lot but it looks like it might be tricky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the patterns for the scrubby yarn on the Red Heart Yarn site seem to be graded 'easy'. I have bought a lot of yarn over the years on the principle that it may look weird but it's cheap so how hard can it be? Scrubby yarn isn't as straightforward as 'normal' yarn as there are lots of little fibres coming off the main thread that can look like stitches or get caught up in stitches. If you see a ball on sale it may be worth having a go. I've got three hearts and two circles from the patterns on the website and I haven't finished two balls yet.

      Thank you for reassuring me about school - and well done your daughter! I think it's harder to do well if you don't have others pushing, and there are a lot of bright kids in bear's class. LM x

      Delete