Pages

Saturday 4 April 2020

Frozen Assets

Thank you for all the good wishes, and sending all good vibes and hugs to those who are suffering at this time. We all are affected, and if all we can do is keep putting one shaky foot in front of another then we are triumphing every time we take a step.

Also, Jessica left a comment with a tip that I thought is definitely worth sharing.

I peel my carrots and put them into a lidded container interleafed with damp kitchen towel and they keep for at least a week and are ready to snack on if needed. I also do this with washed and spun spinach and lettuce and it stays crisp and fresh. Jessica.

Thank you for sharing, I shall definitely try it as carrots seem to take one look at me and fall apart.

Today I got the last delivery I will get until things get back to normal. I booked it a few weeks ago, and considered cancelling it, but bear is still unwell and I am trying to minimise how much I get out. I'm hoping to have no reason to go out for a week now. And in the delivery, there were frozen items.

I have an upright freezer. It isn't the biggest, but it's bigger than an under the counter model. I should be able to cram a fair amount it. Apparently, I have. I've been meaning to run it down so I can stash soup in there, but I seem to have got carried away. You cannot get another frozen pea in there without a crowbar. I swear that the freezer was ready to burst. And the worst thing is that I'm not exactly sure what's in there. There is too much 'miscellaneous'. I know that there are some tubs of sorbet that DH and bear enjoyed last summer, or, at least the last two spoonfuls in the tubs. I'm sure there are ice pops as I've been giving them to bear (still poorly but slightly better). There are half packets of peas, a few nuggets, the last of some hash browns and a bag of red cabbage and apple. As I was trying to cram in the last bag of peas and the frozen chicken pieces, the last frozen pizza fell down the back of the drawer and seemed to disappear. I could have cried. I manhandled drawers out, used some very inappropriate language and managed to just about get the door shut (I checked!) before staggering away.

Tomorrow I have to sort out what is in there. If I come back with some sort of excuse, please feel free to tell me off. I am sure that some of it is just badly packed, and the rest I need to make sure that I use up appropriately. I do not want to keep going out if I can help it. The main issue we are likely to have is bread. I can make mayonnaise rolls, and even pancakes or drop scones, but DH really likes his sandwich made from a loaf. I could maybe freeze bread if I can make sure that space is being used efficiently and I can get things used effectively in the right order. I won't be using much from there tomorrow, though, as I have some turkey mince I'd like to use up.

I think it's a very positive thing that I'm being forced to look at what food I have in and be creative in using it. I wonder how it will change shopping habits after all this is over?

Hugs and good health to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment