Pages

Wednesday 27 March 2024

All Going Well

Thank you for all your good wishes. I don't deserve them but my relative definitely does. They are awesome and finally picking up. I've not been on the front line for this. Other people have taken the burden, but I've been worried and I'm glad things are picking up.

I've not really been keeping up with anything at all for the last month or so. I've decided, and I'm risking putting it here, I'm going to make a start in April. I don't care how I'm going to do it, I just am!

I haven't hemmed the curtains yet. I'm going to wait until the men are around, then take down one curtain at a time, trim as necessary, turn up a double hem and hand hemstitch. I know that I will effectively be hemstitching 460cm each curtain (181 inches, or 15 feet, or five yards), but I've done that sort of thing in the past and it's surprisingly quick. Until then, the curtains are bunched up to keep the heat from the radiator in the room.


By the way, that's full sunlight in the middle of the day. They're not bad at blocking light and I think that they'll do well. If push comes to shove, I'll pin a fleece blanket on the back. 

The magpie's nest is still there and it's huge. I managed this pic.


but it doesn't do justice. Either they're planning a big family or want to rent out a room - it looks massive. 

Bear is being very bear. He was on his way to bed and then paused and said, 'oh, by the way, I got my results back and I got A+ in pure maths and statistics'. I'm sure I don't know all of the good stuff he's done. Apparently tomorrow is some sort of award day and bear said he wasn't looking forward to it. Sigh. From what he let slip, he may get some sort of 'this lad done well' recognition but the chances of me finding out are very small.

Ruth - I've been looking into the reasons why thread snaps and I suspect that the tension is wrong. I've been a bit concerned and I dialled the tension down to 0. I've been thinking, and I think it's worth persevering.

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Usually tension is best for most threads at 4 or 5. Starting at 0 means you can judge for yourself which is best. Also depends on how thick your thread is. Both the top and bobbin threads should be the same weight/kind of thread. I like to sew. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like to sew. I find it soothing. But I think I am locked in a battle for dominance with this machine! I suspect that the problem is partly cheap thread.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that your relative is recovering. Hope they continue to make a full recovery.
    Your curtains look good and I'm sure you'll have them hemmed in no time.
    Well done, bear! I hope that you do get to find out what award he received!
    That is a magnificent magpie nest! They are definitely planning a large brood!
    April is a good month to make a start! I'll join you! I didn't get much accomplished in March, myself, as I was sidelined with my blood clot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For once I think I will share plans. You are an inspiration and an encouragement to me on your blog. Thank you.

      Delete