Pages

Friday 12 January 2018

Knit One, Cough One

It can't be the flu.  The only way it could be the flu if I'm having a mild dose after having the flu jab earlier in the year.  Yes, I am still achy, and the cough is spectacular, but it's only been a week and I'm already coming round. 

I have knitted and coughed and thought about a comment left by Sharon.  A lot of the bigger knitting yarn brands have a swathe of free patterns.  There are adorable patterns for babies, cute patterns for wash cloths and even some very pleasant sweater patterns for ladies.  Red Heart Yarns have some amazing patterns - like the dragon scale mitts here.  They look so tempting to knit!  How about this cute frog wash cloth?  It's bait.  You see the awesome patterns and then you buy their yarn -  but at least the pattern is free!  It must work for them - they have nearly four thousand free patterns and I'm tempted by so many of them.  Fortunately (I think) it's quite hard for me to get hold of Red Heart Yarn in the UK.  You can get a reasonable selection but you don't see it that often, you don't see it on sale and over here we don't seem to get a lot of coupons for yarn. 

You can switch it around.  I grew up watching my mother and grandmother look at the yarn requirements and immediately work out what to use as substitutes.  The better patterns usually involved the more expensive yarn.  If money is tight you have to trade down, but you have to work out how.  There are real experts on Ravelry, but personally I don't check the needle and tension requirements of the pattern.  Instead (thanks to the internet) I look at the weight, yardage and suggested needle size shown for the yarn required and find the equivalent.  Or, more likely, you can score a really good deal on something vaguely between a double knit and an aran (sport and worsted in the States?) and then rummage around to find a pattern that would work, sort of what I'm doing at the moment.


I used a pic of fair isle sweaters from WikiCommons because I couldn't find good pics of ganseys or guernsey sweaters or aran sweaters, the sweaters that the fishermen used to wear.  My family were always royal or merchant navy, not fishermen, so I don't have any direct experience but I just watched this amazing YouTube video.  It's a shortish documentary about the sweaters of Yorkshire fishermen.  Like most of the sweaters around the coast, the patterns would vary from family to family so that if the fisherman was lost overboard and then a body found then you could identify the body by the pattern on the sweater.  It shows one lady knitting a gansey or guernsey and she's knitting on five long, double-pointed needles as the sweater is in the round, has over 300 stitches and a complicated pattern - with fine yarn!  I don't think I'm up to that. 

6 comments:

  1. I understand that ganseys or guernseys (jerseys) were knitted in one piece, hence all those stitches. I don't know if that included the sleeves, although I believe it did.

    Joan (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. I have a distant memory of seeing a pattern from the 1970s for a guernsey knitted in three ply(!) where the main body was knitted in the round and the sleeves were grafted in. It must take some skill! LM x

      Delete
  2. I think you're right about how they draw you in with the free patterns. Lucky for me (sometimes lol) I'm able to find the yarn and usually it's pretty cheap. I did find a great website to help if I find a pattern usually a 'special yarn' to find a substitute. https://yarnsub.com/ Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing this - site bookmarked! LM x

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the link to the video about the sweaters! I enjoyed watching it.

    By the way, I want you to know that I tried the recipe for the rolls you posted, earlier. I halved the salt and they turned out great! A lot like what they call biscuits, over here. I will write about them in my blog post, today, and link to your post, as well. I told my daughter about them and she wants the recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad the recipe worked, and thank you so much for linking! It is really kind of you. LM x

      Delete