Pages

Friday 5 January 2018

Not Perfect

I've had one of those days.  I didn't get much sleep last night and I felt particularly naff raff.  I didn't manage to get out, either, but I will tomorrow.

Bless - re the rolls, I've answered your comment but I thought I'd put it in here as well.  I didn't add any salt at all to the rolls as I don't use much salt in cooking anyway, and they were not too bad.  I did find the dough stickier than I expected and I cooked them for a little longer than advised but they were abolutely delicious and DH would like a double portion cooked next time.  I found them really quick to make, even including the time looking for the measuring spoons.

We are not doing low carb  I can't tell you how relieved I am.  DH had been given advice by his work colleagues.  His work colleagues are actually very lovely, and I'm sure that the low carb diet has worked really well for a lot of people, but I think the tipping point was realising that we would have to cut back on lentil soup.  We did some research and the plan isn't recommended by governments in the UK, USA, Australia or Canada and a lot of reputable sources didn't recommend it for children.  Instead, the current plan is to change our eating habits.  We are going to have less processed stuff (which is a blow to me, as it's easy), lots more veggies, cut back on snacks and generally keep an eye on what we actually put in our bodies.  We are looking at more homemade soups and less tinned ones, more lean chicken and very lean mince and less lamb and pork, that sort of thing.  Bear will still have full access to goodies, of course, but those goodies will include more fruit and less chocolate.  I have suggested that every Sunday we have more of a 'treat' meal so this Sunday it will be sweet chilli chicken, bought ready prepared from Tesco, with roast potatoes and a heap of veggies followed by apple and mincemeat crumble.  On the other hand, tomorrow we will have butternut and sweet potato soup for dinner (I got the idea from this pre-prepared pack but I have butternut squash and sweet potatoes already, although unprepared, and I'll bung in a handful of lentils and some cumin, garlic and tumeric), with those rolls, but snacks/desserts will be fruit or raw veggies.  It's a plan that will adapt as I use up the ready prepared stuff in the freezer and build up recipes.

Fluffy - I am planning on publishing an installment of At the Sign of the White Hart every Monday.  I hope you enjoy a weekly fix.  Thank you, and everyone else who has commented, for your amazing encouragement.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.  I have got around half way through the next installment and I'm confident it will be ready on time but I've been too tired to concentrate or do much at all today.  Instead I've done a little knitting and I've started working on a decent table that tracks the characters in the stuff I've written.

So far I've self published The Forgotten Village, Digging up the Past, Dinner at Dark and Cats in the Bible.  Forgive the links, please, but it's sort of expected of a self published author.  All the books apart from Cats in the Bible have the same background and many recurring characters.  This background and cast of characters also crosses over into the tales of Steve Adderson which can be found intermixed with other work on my other blog, Always Another Chapter, where I mainly publish fiction and At the Sign of the White Hart.  It's a real nuisance when you want to bring in another character and you can't remember what their eye colour is or how they take their tea.  I need to sort it out.

7 comments:

  1. Phew. Glad for you on the no carbs. I'm all for cutting back on things but sometimes I think some of the 'diets' make things worse in the long run. We have cut down a lot on processed food but I would certainly like to cut back more and do more veggie options. Hubby had to cut down on certain things as per doctor, but he's eating things in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly believe that if you have a bit of everything in moderation and within reason then you are likely to be much healthier! Fingers crossed we keep on LM x

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading more installments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a little 'rolodex' type thing for your characters Sybil. Each character has their own card. Every time you describe the character, you update the card with any new info you've given. Any significant event, you add to the card. Abit of a pain to set up initially for established characters but once you've done it, it makes it much easier in future.
    And for new characers, create the card as soon as you create the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was planning on something electronic, but reading this and actually thinking about the way I work, I think I will be better off with something like that. Perhaps not a rolodex but a ring binder (some characters have a lot of background). Thank you! LM x

      Delete
  4. Thank you, again, for the response to my question about the rolls. I will probably halve the amount of salt called for and see how that turns out.

    Glad you don't have to go no carbs! Everything in moderation - that's the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - everything in moderation and at least I get to keep an amazing new recipe. I'm really glad you found it useful. LM x

      Delete