Pages

Monday 31 July 2023

As Expected

I've done practically no gardening. I dead-headed some of the roses and poured boiling water on some dandelions but that was about it. To be fair, it was raining quite hard and the steps to the kitchen were getting slippery.

I did a quick trip to the shops first thing, leaving the house at 7.30am. This was not optimal. I was looking at the compost at Aldi but decided against it. This was just as well as they only had self checkouts open. I had six bottles of diet cola in my trolley (I have a lot of writing to do). If I get a lot like that, I normally put one on the conveyer belt and tell the cashier how many, leaving the rest in the trolley to save everyone's effort. Because it is the self checkout, I had to scan each individually and put them on the tiny 'bagging area' before I could move on to the next item. I can't imagine how that would work with big bags of compost! At least I remembered the turkey leg from Tesco. I didn't cook it today, but bear is out for the next two or three days so I'll cook it (hopefully) tomorrow and it will do me for a few days. DH has his favourite pasta bake and bear is good with breaded chicken, breaded vegan chicken or baked potatoes with tuna if he is home. I'm not sure to put it in a casserole with plenty of stock and veggies or to roast it. It's not that big, for a turkey drumstick, so poaching/stewing/casseroling may be the better way. I could even try it in the slow cooker, if it will fit into my small pot. 

I've done a lot of little things here and there today, as well as some writing, but nothing particular that stands out. However I got a writing planner today in the post and I'm hoping that it will get me moving more. 

Gladys is doing well. Only the lower branches have flowers at the moment.


But her upper branches look like there could be some more blossoms coming soon, and I know that they last until the first frost.


As a reminder - this is what Gladys looked like on 13th May


And how she looks now


I shouldn't have worried!

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. She's doing really well!

    Sorry about the self checkout debacle. They do have some here (select shops only lol) that you are able to use a hand scanner and just scan the ones in the trolley, no alert that 'not in the bagging area', and continue on. It's good for heavy items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The self checkouts have only just been installed at this Aldi. It's going to be a while before it's sorted. They were already checking bags due to theft so I don't know how they think it will go.

      Delete
  2. Gladys looks like she's thriving! Sounds like you had a productive day! All those little things you did add up, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they seem to add up and it's a nice feeling. Thank you!

      Delete