Pages

Monday 24 July 2023

I'm Calling it Gladys

Today has been the usual mix of wins and fails. Bear wanted me to make sure he got up in good time. I gave him a few reminders, but he wasn't up when I had to leave to make sure that I could get DH's fruit in time. He was out and about again today and I left it to him to make the timings work. It won't be long before he's out of the home and managing for himself, so now is a good time to get the practice in. He was fine and rolled in around 8pm.

I was looking at the fuchsia, which is growing splendidly, and I'm sure that the flowers are bigger now than they used to be. Here's a pic from today.


And here is one from 2021


I don't really have good photos to make a comparison. There are a lot less blossoms at the moment, but that's reasonable after it nearly died and was cut back to the level of the wall. Perhaps I'm wrong, but bear also thinks that the flowers are bigger now. I suppose it could be because it was a hybrid of sorts and one strain is now more dominant. It doesn't seem to have got in the way of its vigour. 

As the fuchsia is one of the most interesting things in my life, I've decided that I'm finally going to give the darned thing a name and call it Gladys. I have plans for the garden, and if I ever get any of them done, I'll share. I shall not be getting rid of Gladys.

Hugs and good health to all. 

7 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I need to get one for my garden. I wonder if the deer will eat it lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's like mine, it would probably bite the deer back!

      They are wonderful and great for bees, but they may not like the cold.

      Delete
  2. The fuschia looks lovely, I have one the same which I cut to the ground each spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gladys is a lovely name for a plant that makes me feel glad every time you post a picture of it! Pruning a plant often encourages more robust growth, so the flowers might be bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. It seems a lot sturdier now. I'm so glad it survived!

      Delete
  4. Glad the fuchsia made a come back - I thought it would. If you have many branches on a plant then that will produce smaller flowers so by cutting it back you reduce the number of branches and therefore get larger flowers as all the nutrients go into less branches and can therefore help to make bigger blooms. A bit like if you had one arm cut off the remaining arm would become much stronger and the muscles bigger than they would be if you still had two arms. (Not the best explanation!). Pruning your fuchsia every year will give you bigger blooms each year.
    I remember when Bear started secondary school seems like only yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes so much sense! It's really flourishing at the moment - thank you for the tip about fertiliser.

      I can still remember taking him to primary school when he was more or less sitting in his uniform. I feel like I blinked and then everything changed.

      Delete