Pages

Sunday 29 September 2024

Sorting Out a Schedule

I've not posted over the last few days because I'm not managing the timing. I've usually posted late at night about what happened that day. Over the last few days, however, by the time it gets to my usual posting time, I'm too tired to be even remotely coherent. I've also failed with pics. Yesterday, though, I managed to get a nice pic of Gladys.


We'd been to feed the magpies and crows and they had some serious gang wars over the peanuts. 

I'm not sure what other bits that I've missed. I put a post up for the Green Party in the window for the local council by-election. The local Green Party have worked really hard for their constituents over the years, and I've quite a bit of respect for them. Except... I was talking about putting the poster on the side window of the porch so that more people would see. The representative (who is a lovely lady - seriously lovely), said that she thought that it would be better facing front so that more people would be able to see it from the bus. I just took a pic of the view from my front door, right next to the window that shows the poster.


As you can probably tell, buses don't come down here. It is a bus-free zone and the drivers would probably strike if anyone asked them. I nodded, smiled, put the poster where they asked and considered my voting choices.

A week last Friday I failed to cook tofu because the darned stuff had been left in the fridge and was frozen. The fridge is still acting up but I know that I'll just have to work with it until something drastic happens. The day before yesterday, Friday, I tried again. The recipe was baked tofu with ginger rice. The tofu was fine and I had no trouble coating it with gluten free breadcrumbs, although next time I think that I'll use the cornflour-and-fun-spices technique. This time the problem was with the rice. I pressed the wrong button on the rice cooker and the rice turned out like gravel. I ended up using microwave rice instead. It turned out beautifully, and it's definitely one to consider again. 

As a bonus, we have some fresh ginger left over, so if all goes well I can see some lovely fresh ginger, lemon and honey tea in the near future. 

I cleared out the freezer yesterday so that DH could take it this morning on his usual tip run. There were some fish fillets that bear said were particularly nasty and wouldn't eat, some green beans that expired in 2023 and all sorts of packets holding one tiny fragment. In a perfect world, I should have creatively used up all the crumbs. I thought realistically about the chances of that happening and threw out all those bits where there was one tablespoon of mince, or two chunks of butternut squash, or some brussels sprouts that expired in June. I'm fairly lax about expiry dates on frozen foods, but I loathe the things at the best of times so it was a great excuse. I got rid of a surprising volume, mostly packaging.

We now have some space in the freezer so we can use it properly. I've got some plans that I'm not going to share on here just in case. I also have an idea of what's available and I plan to start working through those this week to continue to make space ready for Christmas. Besides, Tesco are running a '4 for the price of 3' deal on frozen foods. There's not much that we'd use, and no decent plain meat, but I may as well get a couple of packs of peas and some bits for bear.  

I'm planning on posting in the morning instead, so hopefully I should be able to keep up a little better. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment