Pages

Thursday 9 May 2024

Keeping Moving

I've realised that I can move better earlier in the day and that I get stiffer and have more pain at night. This morning I drove to Tesco without much problems and picked up DH's boots from Timpsons there. I had a few moments, but my back seems to be doing a little better. I'm concentrating on standing a little straighter and being careful about putting cushions behind my back and it's definitely helping. My hip had a few moments but it wasn't too bad. I even had a very quick wander in Tesco. The Batley Tesco is massive so I still managed to record a respectable number of steps just picking up fruit for DH and some gluten free bread for me. I had a coupon for some Balance bread from Schar and it left me feeling queasy, but at least I didn't pay full price and I got my steps in. 

I got yet another grocery delivery. I feel like I'm getting a lot of groceries, but I can't wander around so much and when I was taking antibiotics, I wasn't really fit to drive as they made me extremely queasy. Today it was from Morrisons. I'm not a huge fan of Morrison's delivery, but the driver was a sweetheart and I picked up a few bits that I couldn't get delivered from Tesco. I'm trying to plot things to make it the most cost effective, but I think that I'm going to have to start tracking grocery spending to get a reality check. Everything is so expensive, and DH, bear and I all have different food needs. While I was out there talking with the driver, I took this.


It looks incredibly pretty for a woodland scene with bluebells, buttercups and some herb robert in there. It's pretty lame for a flower bed. Still, I enjoy seeing it and I'll get to it one day. 

Sharon talked about keeping cheerful. I'm not going to lie, there are times when I absolutely wallow in misery. However I've made a decision about what I put here. I'm sharing because it may be useful to others. When I post, I try and find a good side, a silver lining, and actively seek them out. I can be sunk in the deepest self pity but I have found that if I choose to look for the bright side to include here, it helps me feel better and brings up my mood. I always feel better if I can see a story and find the fun, even if I have to consciously look. And sometimes things really are that good - there is a lot of light in life. 

It was harder when I picked up bear tonight. Driving was fine, but getting in and out of the car was painful. I've also walked double the number of steps that I've managed over the last few weeks (though still a pitifully small number) so I think I'll rest tomorrow and then try for the walk in clinic on Friday. I'll be glad to get this sorted. 

Thank you for all the kind support. It means a great deal.

Hugs and good health to all. 

9 comments:

  1. We have our groceries delivered these days but do pop to Tesco for the odd item and I find walking there easy as the floor is perfectly flat and smooth. Hope your back and hip improve, very wise to go easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it may be worth a daily trip to somewhere like a supermarket just to get my steps in!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you were able to get out for a bit today. It's good that you're looking for a silver lining, something good to share. It's part of the reason why I do my Things That Make Me Smile photo-a-day. Even on the days when I'm feeling down I try to find something that makes me smile. It was particularly bad after Mum died, I felt down a lot and I struggled most days, but thinking about one thing that made me smile kept me going. Hope things get better for you.
    Those flowers are beautiful. Just a small patch, but there certainly is a lot in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - you're right. One small thing can make all the difference. Thank you for the hug x

      Delete
  3. Speaking of steps, a friend of mine is 82, and her dr. says she has to walk every day. So she goes to stores every day, hangs on to a cart (trolley) and wanders around looking for bargains. She's doing pretty good (and there's always a bathroom nearby.) It's her favorite activity. Now and then she buys something on sale, adds it to a pretty paper bag, and gives it to someone to cheer them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what I should be doing! Tesco in Batley is one of the biggest supermarkets around here, there are easy access toilets and the aisles are wide. I should take inspiration

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear that you felt better in the morning and felt up to doing some grocery shopping.
    I think you are smart to get the groceries delivered. I've been considering doing so, myself, but, right now, the order and pick up is free with a minimum purchase and that works well for me. I track my grocery spending to the penny, as you know, although I do go over budget, every now and then! But, I usually manage to make up for it in the next month's budget.
    The mixture of flowers in the photo looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - to be honest, I loved the flowers even though I should be grumpy about weeds.

      The grocery delivery is something of a dark art for me - I pay once a year for free deliveries up to one every day, but the minimum is £50 unless I pay a £5 surcharge. It's worth it in one way but DH likes fresh salad which needs to be picked up regularly and some of the treats that bear likes are only available in store. I'm working on it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you - to be honest, I loved the flowers even though I should be grumpy about weeds.

      The grocery delivery is something of a dark art for me - I pay once a year for free deliveries up to one every day, but the minimum is £50 unless I pay a £5 surcharge. It's worth it in one way but DH likes fresh salad which needs to be picked up regularly and some of the treats that bear likes are only available in store. I'm working on it.

      Delete