Pages

Friday 22 March 2024

A Little More Distracted Than Usual

It's not really mine to tell, but someone in DH's family is now in hospital, so I'm worrying about them at the moment. 

I try and limit what I write about others on here, and that relative, who is awesome and who has always been incredibly kind to me, deserves privacy. But I'm thinking about them and I know I'll want to do some more running around over the next few days.

And I haven't finished the conversion from pillow cases to bags. The thread on the sewing machine keeps breaking. I think that there's a problem with the tension but the thread may also be weak. I don't feel like pushing a sharp needle through stiff ribbon on half a dozen pillow cases. I haven't shortened the curtains either. I have been prodding around them, and the only solution that I think I could plausibly manage is to take the curtains down, trim the bottom and then fold over a double hem and hemstitch by hand. I've done that before, but it's a daunting task. 

On the bright side, we've spotted a nest where a lot of the fibre may be going - it's a magpie nest, it's large and it's at the top of the laurels across the way. I'll try and get a pic. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

6 comments:

  1. You might google "reasons why thread in sewing machine keeps breaking" and see what comes up. I know that if the needle is in backwards, or wrong, that the thread will continue to break. You can run your thumbnail down the "right side" of the needle- the side you should stick the thread in, and there is a small groove leading down to the eye of the needle. It's supposed to guide the thread end into the hole, I think. Also, if the thread isn't threaded through all the things on its way to the needle, it could miss something and keep breaking. Check to make certain that the thread from the spool isn't wrapped around the needle or any other little thing sticking out. These are some of the issues I've had in the past. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm semi-confident that the tension is the problem as it feels stiff and over taut on the top thread. I'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  2. I hope your relative who is in the hospital recovers soon. Take care of yourself, too, while you run around taking care of others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, hope husband's family member gets well soon. It is a worry.
    Great to know the birds are using the fibre to make a nest. Hopefully you can get a photo

    ReplyDelete