Pages

Saturday 16 March 2024

The Sewing Machine is Winning

Ages and ages ago, I bought a sewing machine. It was one of those bargains where it was a return, and there was a voucher, and another offer stacked on top. I think that it cost around £20. I wrote about it ages ago, but I can't remember when so I can't check. I know that it wasn't a lot, which is fair enough for a discontinued Amazon own brand discount machine.



It has 42 stitches, apparently, but no instruction videos on YouTube and the manual is somewhat sparsely written. I had a few issues threading the machine up. First off I couldn't thread the needle and broke the needle threader.


The presser foot was loose, but I didn't realise so I bent the needle before the presser foot fell off. 

When I finally got the dratted thing threaded up with a new needle (and after a lot of help from DH) and did a few test runs, it was okay. 


I should have done a lot more,but instead got started. Because an even longer time ago I picked up some duvet covers to turn into curtains. As I have mentioned, my windows are an inconvenient size and standard ready made curtains won't fit, but duvet covers with heading tape work fine. However I've got a little over confident and I also bought some curtain interlining. As I clicked 'pay' I thought, I can just... And we all know how that goes. 


The inexpensive curtains that I bought from Aldi were in either double or king sized. I want to have the same colour curtains in both the main rooms - study and living room. The study window is 90 inches wide, the living room window is 46 inches wide. Double duvets are 200cm wide and king sized are 220cm. I bought two of each. I checked my order history and the interlining is 6 metres long and 54 inches wide (yes, I know!). I am going to have to do a lot of sums, and they aren't really the sort that I can rope bear into. 

By the time I'd messed around, I managed to get one double duvet attached to heading tape. I did not do a good job but I'm hoping that 'crushed' fabric, fullness and gathers will be kind to my skill.


Using a sewing machine is supposed to be quicker than hand sewing, but it was a close call with this machine as it ambles gently along. I called it a day at dinner time and went to hang out with the men. However now that it's all set up, I should be able to add heading tape to three duvet covers easily enough tomorrow. I'm not sure about the interlining. I'll share how I get on. 

I would also mention that I'm glad that I'm using these for curtains as the fabric is quite scratchy and I wouldn't like them on my bed. I was going to use the pillow cases that came with the duvets as cushion covers for the study and living room but I really don't fancy them now. I'll see if I can think of other uses as I don't feel it's fair to donate such uncomfortable things...

...but I could use some bags for yarn...

Anyway, I'll share how I survive with the sewing machine tomorrow. 

(and thinking about it, I don't think that I've bought enough lining...)

Hugs and good health to all. 

6 comments:

  1. Well done, getting started! I have some machine sewing to do, too, but, I might wait another couple of days until my leg gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on the sewing machine. Threading the needle was just more than I could manage lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very ambitious. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete