Pages

Saturday 16 September 2017

Big Day

Bear had his exam for one of the grammar schools we have applied for.  Even if he passes the exam there is no guarantee he'll get a place because of the distance, but we thought we would try.

I have never seen anything like it.  The grammar is in a small mill town surrounded by narrow, residential streets.  They were doing at least three sessions with marshalls waving people around to find parking spaces.  They were expecting around 800 applicants for 180 places.  We were there early and there was already a queue.  Within ten minutes there was a massive trail of people going both directions from the entrance to the exam.  It wasn't just the minimum 200 kids, but their parents, siblings and assorted family as well.  It was a lot of people.

Bear looked confident and relaxed when he went in, happy when he came out and said it was easier than he had expected.  I'm trying not to worry what he missed.  What I told him was of course, he was awesome and lets go get some Lego.

This afternoon I called in to Leeds Library to do some research.  I took a picture of the floor outside the lift to the third floor where I was trying to get an insight into nineteenth century Leeds and I took a picture of the wall where I had a cuppa.  Here is the floor...


..and here is the wall...

Leeds Library was built in Victorian Gothic style, all tiles and gargoyles.  I'll take some more pics when I go back next week.

1 comment: