Pages

Thursday 4 January 2018

A Surprise

I went out again today.  I only went a little way to the local Nisa, but I went out.  It's been very wet and windy here and I got soaked, but I didn't mind as it was only a quick trip. 

One of the things that I picked up were some bell peppers.  Bear and his pal devoured a stack of strips of raw pepper so I'll have to keep working on that.  I also made some fast rolls for dinner.  The recipe is here, but basically it's just flour, milk and mayonnaise.  They came out beautifully, even with gluten free flour.  I would recommend them, especially in an emergency.

It's a shame, really, because DH came home and said he's decided to go 'low carb'.  That means that the very pleasant rolls will be shelved, as will lentil soups and the hummus I was planning to top bear up with when he got home from school.  It also means that the rice cooker that means we finally get great rice is no good, and that I guess that the stock of gluten free pasta will be split between donations and my lunches.  I've no idea where to start.  I think I'm going to have to spend some time rattling around the internet.  I'm not sure whether it's suitable for bear (though cutting down on his crisps and biscuits won't hurt) and I don't know if I can face it.   

Btw, yesterday I asked about a river being measured in height or depth.  I think Sue in Suffolk's reply was the most succinct - it's depth if you're in it and height if you're not.  I'll take it.  The local beck is around half the height that the government considers a flood risk, but I think I'll keep an eye out. 

5 comments:

  1. I think brown rice has a some protein in it so might be ok in small quantities if the diet is low carb rather than no carb. Same with brown lentils over red ones.
    Diets are hard to stick to when you cut down on a food group as it restricts your choice and limits the recipes you can use too - so good luck with that! Perhaps start small and reduce the carbs and increase the protein a bit more each time.
    The depth height thing from Sue sounds convincing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Sue nailed it. As for the diet, as I say in the main post, we're not going there and I'm very relieved. Thank you for commenting. LM x

      Delete
  2. Your dinner rolls sound interesting. I read some of the reviews and people were saying the amount of salt called for in the recipe was too much. Did you adjust the salt or use the amount given? And if you kept to the given amounts, were the rolls too salty for you? I ask because I would like to try making them, myself.

    As for the low carb diet, maybe be make a carb free main dish for all to share and have one or two carb items as sides for bear and yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the comments and I didn't add any salt at all. I don't add much salt to food anyway, and I didn't find it too bad. I used gluten free flour and they were stickier than I expected when I put the mixture in the tins, and I cooked them for a little longer, but they were fine, really lovely and fluffy.

      As for the diet, I don't think bear will allow me to cut back too much on his treats lol! LM x

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the response, Lyssa.

      Delete