Pages

Monday 6 October 2014

Egyptian Lentil Soup

As I've written, I am now gluten free.  This is quite depressing.  I am incredibly supportive of someone who needs to be careful of what they eat, but I am a bit disappointed in myself and keep wondering if I pull myself together whether I will be fine.  I won't.

This has had an interesting side effect.  I can't have takeaways, I can't have treats from the sandwich shop and my goodies are restricted.  I am still managing to pack in plenty of empty calories, but I am looking for better ways to eat.

I bought a gluten free cookbook.  I was a bit disappointed as it relied heavily on xanthan gum and substituting while I would like to look for something more adventurous.  It did however have this recipe in, and as bear is covering Ancient Egypt at school I thought he would enjoy it.

1 tbs each of olive oil and butter, 1 onion, 2 cloves of garlic, 900ml of stock (gluten free for me, but I guess any would do if you were not restricted), 1 tsp each of cumin seeds, turmeric and paprika, two carrots, two potatoes (neither of which were around in Ancient Egypt) and 125g of red lentils.

Soften the finely chopped onion in the oil and butter, then add the garlic and spices.  Cook for a few minutes and then add the carrot and potato.  Cook for a few minutes more then add the lentils, stirring well.  After five minutes add about a quarter of the stock and let it get hot and bubbling before adding the rest.  Simmer for ten to fifteen minutes until the carrot and potato are cooked through then puree.

It is very tasty, very warming, relatively inexpensive, relatively healthy and bear cleared his plate.  I plan to cook up a massive batch and then freeze for use later.  


No comments:

Post a Comment