Pages

Sunday 15 December 2019

Another Quiet Day

Jill - I am incredibly proud of bear, and he knows it. He also knows that I love him to bits. He is a little too old for hugs these days, but I think he feels safe enough.

Bear baked again today. He decided to have a go at cupcakes, and this time it was double chocolate with caramel flavoured frosting. I stayed around in the room while he was working on the cakes as they didn't do the creaming method in school and I didn't bake much with him when he was younger, so I helped him cream the flour and margarine, gave a little guidance on the whole 'folding in the flour' step and wondered what on earth they had discussed at school. I'm trying to remember the different methods of cake making. You have the creamed method, the all in one (I think they did that at school), the rubbed in (I think they did that as well) and the melted, like gingerbread. I may encourage bear to make gingerbread while I just hang around.

There was a fair amount of 'disaster zone' to be cleaned up afterwards, but I didn't really mind. Bear had a blast. When my next '10% off' shopping thingy comes up, I'll stock up on baking supplies. I'll need to get a new iron as well, as I cracked mine today and the replacement is pathetic. It's supposed to have this auto sensor to keep the iron at the correct temperature for ironing, but it stayed up there at around the temperature of the sun. I'm going to have my hands full until I get it replaced.

I'm sort of braced for bear's attacks of baking. He's getting really into it, and would like to make his own birthday cake. He has dug out a recipe from the Hamlyn cookbook that DH bought me in 1988 for Devil's Food Cake. I'll have a rummage through it and we'll have a few goes at it before the big day. That cookbook is a brilliant one, with a smallish selection of straightforward, sensible recipes. I'll share anything good that happens.

Hugs to all.

1 comment:

  1. I can see that you won't be lacking for any cake in the near future! :D

    ReplyDelete