Pages

Sunday 2 February 2014

Cooking

I've been trying a few different recipes.  I tried cauliflower rice, inspired by Angela on Tracing Rainbows, and that was quite successful.  You process the cauliflower in a food processor until it is the size of grains of rice then microwave it with 10ml of water (two teaspoons) for two minutes.  The menfolk quite liked it as a change, and bear seemed to put plenty away.  I was very grateful for the inspiration.

I got a bit carried away.  I shredded some cabbage and stirred it around in a tablespoon or so of oil and tried cooking it in the halogen oven.  It wasn't tasty.  It was more or less cooked, charred in places and I probably won't try that again, at least with a savoy cabbage.  Cooking cabbage in water with a good wallop of butter added probably is the least healthy way of cooking cabbage, apart from wrapping it round a Mars bar and deep frying, but that went down well with the menfolk.

I'm going to have a wander around the internet to see if there is anything interesting I can do to red cabbage.  That is the joy of a veg box - it sends you in strange directions and as I am getting seasonal veggies and it is the middle of winter I am getting a lot of cabbage.  Cabbage is good, and bear will usually eat it, but I'd like to ring the changes.

It does make me feel very lucky that I have a choice.  In Roman times May was an unlucky month to marry and it was the month of the dead.  It seems strange to have such a bright month as a time of the dead, but in the ancient world it was the time when the grain from the last harvest was running out.  If the last harvest had been bad, people would be suffering.  The Romans placated their ghosts with beans, and dried beans would probably be all that was left.

Wondering what else to cook with cabbage isn't that big a deal, compared to that.

2 comments:

  1. Red cabbage is fantastic. Delia has a really easy recipe. The result is lovely, It's also good cold, and it freezes well. I make a huge pot of it, then freeze the excess (in meal sized portions). http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! WS xxx

      Delete