Pages

Wednesday 2 August 2023

Unexpectedly Quiet

Bear is spreading his wings. This afternoon he asked if it was okay if he could sleep over at a friend's house. He's at the pub quiz tonight and then out early tomorrow with friends in the area which is a good hour away in the car during busy times and even longer on the bus. 

Of course, we had to stop off at Tesco first because he didn't own a pair of pyjamas. It's not that I've refused to buy him any, it's just that he refused to wear them! I hope everything goes well. DH and I have been left unexpectedly at a loose end and it's very unnerving.

Writing stuff - I've spent most of the day rummaging around writing stuff. This includes my latest instalment of the Research and Authors series which is here. Did you know that Victorians wore dresses that were dyed green with a dye that contained arsenic? Eventually people realised the connection and the dresses were considered deadly, but how unnerving. I knew about the arsenic wallpaper and that, but I never thought that it extended to dresses. There was a pigment called Paris Green that was called that because the dye was used to poison rats in the Paris sewers. 

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like it's time to start planning some date nights with your DH! :D
    I didn't know about the arsenic in the dye! Then, again, I eat rice and there's supposed to be arsenic in it, absorbed from the water in which it is grown! Oh, and we sprayed DDT around the house at night, when I was growing up, to keep the mosquitos at bay! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - there was an asbestos factory near where my father grew up and he used to wake up to fine white dust all over the cars and gardens from it!

      Delete
  2. I smile each time I read of Bear spreading his wings. What are you going to do when he goes off to Uni. Start making plans now as it'll happen in the blink of an eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's already something of a shock. He's being awesome, though, and I'm practicing not worrying - I'm not always doing well.

      Delete