Pages

Saturday 27 April 2024

£541.14

My brother took my son to get his kit for the Duke of Edinburgh expedition. It cost £541.14. That's backpack, boots, proper hiking socks, waterproof trousers, jacket, mess kit etc etc etc. £60 covers the trip (already paid) and £35 covers what we are renting, such as the tent and camping stove (already paid).

It's worth it. Bear looks so good, clumping around in the boots with his very skinny jeans and t-shirt. He still needs to get the meal pouches that they suggest, but I thought that we could get those nearer the time. 

It's all good stuff, and I suspect that there are a couple of pieces that he'll get lots of use out as he goes on, but it was a shock. It's worth it.

Antibiotics continue.

10 comments:

  1. Some of the kit will come in useful if he ever wants to go to music festivals in future. Hope he enjoys the expedition, has Bear camped before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bear has never camped at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't enjoy it, however.

      Delete
  2. That is quite a bit of money, isn't it? But, bear will have a wonderful experience, I'm sure, and that's priceless. Hope you feel better once those antibiotics do their job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that the whole experience is worth every penny and it will be wonderful for bear.

      Delete
  3. How nice that someone else was able to spend their time helping your son get his gear! It takes a lot of stamina to drive around, stand around while choices are made, items tried on the body, etc. That gear will last along time (although the clothing might not fit properly as the young man grows...) Hope he has a great expedition!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother is out for all he can give and is a really great uncle for bear. He has far more patience than I ever have had! As for the kit - this is the practice expedition with a full one next year. I'm fairly sure that the backpack and mess kit will be fine, and I don't think that he's going to add many inches, but I suspect he'll need a bigger set of fleeces as he fills out!

      Delete
  4. That's a lot of money - what happens to the kids who genuinely can't afford it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe that there's bursaries and grants, and to be fair we bought new at a good shop, but it must be a nightmare for those on tight budgets! DH has worked very hard to get us the luxury of being able to buy this stuff and I appreciate it. It did cross my mind that not everyone was this lucky.

      Delete
  5. I'm sure he'll have a great time. It will be an experience that he won't forget!

    ReplyDelete