Pages

Monday 29 April 2024

Shopping

I'm not exactly shopping for fun, but I'm having a little bit of fun thinking about shopping for bear.

I think I last went camping back in 1980 or 1981. It's definitely been a while and neither DH nor bear has never gone camping. We are woefully inexperienced, but I'm sure bear will have fun. Angela mentioned in a comment, what would happen to those who didn't have the money. While I think that there are bursaries and grants, it must be a real barrier to those who are struggling with their pennies. 

What is more, my brother got membership prices from Go Outdoors plus some additional discounts, otherwise we would have been charged £901.20! We could have saved money on the clothing (which may not fit him next year as he is beginning to broaden out, but he can wear it in general anyway) and things like the mess kit by searching online for cheaper options, asking around and borrowing it or getting second hand. I was happy for bear to have a proper look in an outdoor shop, though, for boots, backpack and socks. 

This doesn't include the sleeping bag or sleeping mat, tent, and camping stove either! That's part of the rental. Plus he'll be issued with things like a compass and maps. I need to pick up matches for him so I was looking on Amazon for matches in tins. It's around six weeks away, so I have time to think about it, so I can at least entertain myself with looking around. Col pointed out that it was good to label everything, so I'm ordering some black nail polish. Thinking back to my time in the girl guides, the nail varnish on the plastic plates that I had lasted for ever. I am so grateful that we can do this and comforted that a lot of the kit will last through this practice expedition, the real expedition next year and whatever else bear manages to find himself in. 

Speaking of shopping, I'm still struggling to walk so I'm getting deliveries. I've already got a delivery saver with Tesco and I'm getting my money's worth, but the minimum order is £50. I don't really want to spend that. However, I've found that Tesco practically never have the potting compost that I want for growing coriander. It registers as it's in stock, but it's always missing off the order. I've done quite well ordering a realistic amount of that compost, that I'd use anyway and which bumps up my order total. It takes it nicely up to the minimum order and then I don't have to pay when it doesn't turn up but I still have the groceries I wanted. You can get a delivery for under £50 but they add on a £5 surcharge. 

Hugs and good health to all.

3 comments:

  1. We really enjoy camping. We started doing it more in later life (after the kids had grown and I stopped working). It's a lot of fun. Things can be expensive, but we started off little by little. We both now have really good, low temp sleeping bags and sleeping pads. Husband has a whole inventory of cooking things and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your reasoning behind the shopping order! :)

    ReplyDelete