Pages

Wednesday 17 April 2024

Easily Distracted

I'm extremely easily distracted and I deliberately look for distractions when I'm feeling tense. I've been happily knitting a few rows here and there on the blanket I'm making from the yarn I couldn't resist from Aldi a month or so ago. It's knitting up really nice. 

But then I found some yarn when I was clearing stuff out of a corner and investigated. I thought I had 16 100g balls of DK. As it was, I have 16 50g balls of what is described as aran but I suspect is nearer chunky. It was always intended as a blanket or throw as I think the unicorn colours are cheerful and may cheer someone up.


I've cast on and, while it isn't knitting up as nice, it's not so bad.

I wanted to be distracted as the equipment list for bear's Duke of Edinburgh expedition has come through. For those unfamiliar, the Duke of Edinburgh awards are for teenagers and they encourage independence and taking the initiative. There's things like volunteering involved, plus they have to go on an expedition where they camp. 

Bear has never been camping.

At least the school are offering an option to rent things like tents and camping stoves and are providing stuff like a compass and light sticks. However they have a list of things like clothing with the preferred brands. Some of those are somewhat expensive. Some of those are so expensive that they can only be described with swear words. 

I'm willing to go for the recommended brands when it comes to things like walking boots and backpacks. I have no idea how to judge those things and they are important, so I'll take advice. I'm not sure about £40 for a t-shirt! I can see that there'll be a lot of discussion. 

Writing stuff - I'm catching up with the White Hart here

Hugs and good health to all. 

4 comments:

  1. When our son did his D of E, we spent an absolute fortune on his sleeping bag, backpack, boots, and waterproofs, but everything else came from Millets.
    Make sure that you put bear's initials on things such as his cutlery, mess tin, mug etc. Stainless steel mugs are a lot stronger, but plastic ones are far more practical, and cheaper, although getting a mug with a carabiner handle is a good idea.
    Our son wasn't terribly fond of camping, (and now that he's in his late thirties, it would take a small army to get him into a tent), but being with his mates, and having independent adventures made it all worthwhile.
    It's a good idea to send some blister dressings with him too, have a look at what 'Compeed' make, they're really good! No matter how well he prepares his boots, they're almost certain to rub in at least one spot! Also, depending on the time of year, sun cream and a peaked cap, the funkier the better!
    Our son went right through to his Gold award, and actually enjoyed every second of it all. Well, maybe not the torrential rain they had to tramp across fields in on more than one occasion!
    It's all part of the growing up process though, and definitely prepares them for a lot of the stuff life will throw at them!
    It's a brilliant scheme, and although, being bear's mum, you'll worry yourself silly, he'll love it, and it will do him a world of good! X


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really helpful! I've got him some blister plasters already as he's breaking in his boots. So far, so good!
      (they apparently are insisting on a tin mug and I'm not complaining as he got one that was pretty and I'll almost certainly use it myself afterwards!)

      Delete
  2. I remember when my daughter was in her senior year at high school and they went on a weeklong camping trip to Yosemite. She, too, had never gone camping before! We had a list of items like sleeping bags, stainless steel water bottles, and hiking boots. And we had to pay for the trip! But, she was able to wear the clothes she already had! Yes, buy the items in the recommended brands and, hopefully, bear will have the time of his life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always really encouraging! Thank you!

      Delete