Pages

Tuesday 21 May 2024

Trousers

I can't wear my jeans because my legs are too swollen to fit in the straight legged ones that I've got. In fact, they're too swollen to fit most styles of trousers. I've been wearing a skirt which I dug out from the very back of my wardrobe, and I was surprised that I had it - I don't like skirts. However my walking is considerably better if I wear trainers (sneakers) and I can't wear trainers and a skirt. I mean, in theory I could. I've seen people look pretty good in a trainer/skirt combination. But I can't. The thought of it makes me want to cry. 

It's funny, really. Over the decades, the rules I stuck to as a teen have gently eroded, but the no trainers with skirt is rigid. I bought some fancy (and extremely inexpensive) wide trousers. They're supposed to give a sort of skirt like appearance, like a nineteenth century governess riding across the moors in a divided skirt. They're not particularly comfortable, they are so like a long skirt that they trip me on the stairs and, because they're made of some cheap cotton-type fabric, I have extra sound effects whenever I walk. At least they have pockets. I'm considering my options - which won't include skirts!

I'm not managing to go far, but I'm walking a lot better and I'm cautiously optimistic. 

In other news, I dug out an old cookbook. It's probably older than bear but I thought it might be useful. 


It's got some interesting recipes in there, including one for Bobotie that I may try out, but it has some that I won't be suggesting to bear. For example, there's a recipe for Chicken Chow Mein. The main ingredient in the ingredient list is - a packet of chicken chow mein. I still remember the horror of my mother when I brought the list of ingredients for lemon meringue pie mix home for the cookery lesson. The ingredients included -  a boxed lemon meringue pie mix! 

I have to get better at walking soon. The garden is a complete disgrace. I think I'll see what basics I can manage then I'll have to talk to DH about getting people in to do some work. DH can't garden - even father couldn't catch his attention. His spirit is willing, but he can't seem to see the difference between plants and weeds. Bear is similar. I may be able to persuade bear to prune Gladys, but I never managed to teach him the difference between brambles and nettles so I'm reluctant to let him loose on the garden. I need to have a long think about how things can go on. If I can't do much then it needs to be low maintenance. 

But I'm not having plain concrete - not on your life!

Hugs and good health to all

6 comments:

  1. It's good that you're getting out for a bit of a walk. I can't remember the last time I wore a skirt. I am just so hippy that they make me look even bigger than I actually am. Or maybe it's just the way I think lol. It's funny that over here lots of people wear trainers with their skirts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trainers with skirts are fine for everyone except me - and given the choice, I'm happiest in jeans.

      Delete
  2. I do hope that you find some comfortable trousers. I love skirts and I wear sneakers with them, unless it is a formal occasion. Maybe you can scatter some wildflower seeds in your garden and bear or your husband can mow it all down at the end of the flowering season. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that skirts with sneakers can look amazing. It's just not for me. One of those weird little rules that somehow have stuck.

      I like the idea of wildflowers. I'm going to try and plan so that nothing needs doing. The men don't 'do' gardening.

      Delete
  3. It's difficult to find a nice well fitting pair of jeans. I like wearing the men's ones from M and S. There's more room in them without looking too baggy. They've also got good deep pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. M&S women's jeans are just about perfect on me, but the ones from Bon Marche have better pockets.

      Delete