Pages

Monday 5 March 2018

So that was Monday

I've been a washout today.  I've pootled, tootled and dithered.  Bear managed to get to school on time and in the correct uniform, which I'm taking as a win.  He only told me tonight that he had the form to book a parents' evening slot.  It's going to be hard, but I won't be checking his bag in High School, even if he makes mistakes.  It's better he makes mistakes and learns from them in High School than leave school with no idea of consequences..  Mind you, I've heard so many horror stories about Food Tech lessons and kids remembering the night before that they need unicorn eyebrows for the lesson the next day and I suppose I'll still have some stress.  I'm going to have to learn to sit on my hands.

Last Wednesday we got the notification through that we had to ring the grammar school.  The letter was very clear.  There was considerable weather around so the school was closed on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I have been on pins waiting for them to re-open.  I needn't have bothered.  Apparently we weren't supposed to ring at all.  The school are sending out slips and I daresay those slips will soon be followed by folders full of what bear will need.  I've checked out the uniform again.  There are no exact prices but the uniform can only be bought at one shop in Dewsbury that does not take internet orders.  It's going to be fun. 

The latest story 'At the Sign of the White Hart' is up here.  There are only a few episodes left in this series, if you don't mind me describing it like that, so let me know if you would like it to continue in the same format. 

6 comments:

  1. The grammar school all sounds quite exciting - I suspect the uniform might be quite expensive too if you have to buy from one supplier and can't get anything to supplement from the more reasonably priced ranges at the supermarkets.
    Hope you get bear well trained to deliver notes by the time he goes! Most schools seem to send reminder texts out now - good job I don't have kids at school now as I only look at me phone every now and then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grammar school is a really big deal so I suppose a fancy blazer isn't too harsh a price. Bear handed over a letter today, so that was something. Apparently the school send out reminders. I shall see. LM x

      Delete
  2. I couldn't seem to get moving today either. When I was in school there was only one shop to buy the uniform from - or you were supposed to. The official blazer was sold there but we couldn't afford that. Wore a cardigan instead. The only thing I think we bought there was the requisite tie. Yuck. Hated that thing. I do still remember how to tie it - though only when it's around my neck and not someone else's lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a closed shop. The thing is, the competition is so fierce to get into the school that parents daren't take any risks. There are shops that clone cheaper versions of the nearer High Schools but I think this one is locked down. It could be worse - I think! LM x

      Delete
  3. I've loved At the Sign and the format, it's like going to the Saturday morning pictures.
    I haven't written for ages, too tied up with childcare.
    May I suggest a copy of bear's timetable up in the kitchen. That way you will know when food tech is, it's not just the ingredients, it's knowing what size containers are needed too. Its very difficult to transport soup in a platform tray as one of my dgs's discovered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get chances to write soon. It's such a great restorer. I am absolutely taking your advice and putting bear's timetable in the kitchen. I shall also put reminders on my phone. As for containers - the only edible thing that I made in Home Economics back in the day was a lemon meringue pie and the tin I had was too small and I dropped the whole thing on the floor in English. I wish I had seed your dgs's reaction to the soup conundrum. Did they decide to eat the evidence? LM x

      Delete