Pages

Saturday 3 March 2018

Talking Stories

I am very rarely stuck for story ideas and they come at me from all sorts of directions.  For example, I had been gently wafting around YouTube looking at sock knitting machines, carding wool, home made shower melts, home made hand cream, funny cats - the usual spread - when I clicked on a link for Nablus soap which looked fascinating.  So I had a look on eBay, as you do, as it's surprising how much information you can learn from those listings.  I was wondering about whether the olive oil soap would help my eczema and thinking that buying things from Palestine is probably a good thing but it all seems very politically complicated over there when I noticed that one of the eBay shops selling a Blessed Holy Land Set.

For those who don't want to click (and I don't blame you) it is a set of four small bottles variously containing soil from the Holy Land, Holy Annointing Oil, Holy Water, and Holy incense.  It is described as 'blessed' but it doesn't say by who (or whom, opinions welcome) and you are going down a theological rabbit hole with some of the possibilities there.  They also say that they have Certified Blessed Anointing Oil which has been bottled and blessed in the Holy Sepulchre but again does not say by who (or whom, opinions welcome).  I understand that the Christians in Palestine have to get by as best they can but it did make me blink. 

Also for those interested, here is a picture in the public domain, taken from Wiki via the Palestine Archives 


I can't even count how many stories could ricochet out of this - the under-siege soap makers, the post colonial wreckage with extra religion, the efficacy of mail order Holy Water (really!), the John Le Carre style exile group selling these things which they may or may not believe in - things that may or may not work...  I have had writer's block plenty of times but never for a shortage of plot seeds. 

Speaking of stories, I'm getting to a point in 'At the Sign of the White Hart' where I could draw a line, put it in book form and call it finished.  To those who have been kind enough to read it - do you want me to continue? Is the format working?  I can carry on with stories based around the White Hart, possibly including mail order Holy Water, but would you prefer me to do stand alone stuff or perhaps different places?  I'm not guaranteeing I'll follow any or all suggestions, but I'll pay attention.  I'm particularly interested in how people see the format, especially if I absolutely promise one instalment a week (crises permitting). 

9 comments:

  1. I make my own soap from olive oil, coconut oil , water and lye. It brings out the inner scientist in me. I think I got the original recipe from Down to Earth blog. My skin is much less dry and my eczema on my hands as totally disappeared. Sorry I can't comment on your story as I haven't had the time to read it yet.
    Barb from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I have the confidence to make my own soap, though I have considered it. I've bookmarked the page on Down to Earth (which I shall investigate!) but I'm not sure I'm safe with caustic soda. Don't worry about reading my stuff, I just love your advice and visits and I would hate to have any fuss about my writing get in the way. LM x

      Delete
  2. You do come across some interesting things. Anything like the "Blessed Holy Land Set" tends to take my blood pressure up a notch or two, since I place it in the same category as those who sell Glastonbury mud to China or those Americans who made a fortune filling the world with pet rocks in the 1970s. I could rant about the commercial aspect of Harry Potter wands when any worked stick will do, along with those who sell pheasant feathers as smudging sticks for £14 each in Glastonbury. Did I mention that I'm a great believer in making your own anything because it's actually stronger energetically than anything you buy from elsewhere. We do buy Medjoul dates from Palistinian farmers, thanks to a scheme run by one of my apprentices. I was looking to name the pub in my village earlier today and was very taken with The White Hart, espeically with its connection to Richard II, a much maligned monarch. Unforunately I discovered it already had a name - The Plough, from an earlier story about the same village. I'd completely forgotten. Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Richard II as inspiration as he has links with York. Also, apparently there isn't a White Hart in York according to Google. Pubs change names with owners, just saying, and if you like it, go with it. It's really grown on me.

      I agree with you 100% about the 'merchandise'. I am now a Christian but I used to be a pagan and I want to treat the various branches of paganism with respect. If you look on eBay under 'Metaphysical' you can see heaps of merchandising and I may visit the issue as a plot (and perhaps a warning!)

      I would take it as a kindness if you pull me up if I show disrespect to Wicca or the branches of paganism. I feel that I should show the same respect to aspects of other religions that I do my own and I would rather be kind. Any help with that would be appreciated. You have been very kind to me many, many times, and I am always grateful. Your guidance when I step out of line would be appreciated and welcome. LM x

      Delete
  3. This sort of thing shouldn't be allowed - people are making a fortune out of the gullible. Water is probably straight out of a tap and the oil out of a bottle - who is going to check ? and as for 'Holy Land' - is there such a thing anymore, they're all busy tearing each other apart these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very open mind and there may well have been blessings but it seems to go against a lot of Christian teachings even if it isn't out of a tap in Peckham. But how could Trading Standards check a blessing? As for the Holy Land - I'm not up to understanding what's going on there. It's heartbreaking and against the spirit of all three religions. LM x

      Delete
    2. I'm fairly reliably informed that blessings and all kinds of energy healing can be pursued under Trading Standards if they claim to do something which isn't "licensed" and which doesn't appear and they charge you for it. It's why healers can never claim to cure anything (and given that you never know to which body the energy you send is going, you could never do cause and effect) and you can only offer healing to someone who has capacity to give consent to receive it. It would also make me run a mile from anyone who said "Give me £80 and I'll cure your tumour for you". It's why I never charge for any of my herbal or healing stuff. People can give donations towards my Sanctuary upkeep but it never covers the cost of what I've given them in terms of plants, plant material or my time in preparing something. If they ask me if x will do y, my usual response is that maybe they'd like to experiment and see what happens and feedback their discoveries so we can all learn. We do learn, all the time, it's amazing! (Don't worry, we do spend a lot of time talking about contraindications and what constitues a poison, even down to "if you've got an underactive thyroid don't eat sprouts and other greens.")

      Delete
  4. Not bothered about the Blessed Holy Land rhubarb, but if you are promising an instalment a week of "White Hart", this is me leaping up and down saying "Yes, please, more, more!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling comparatively confident I can do it. Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. It really means a lot. Thank you!!! LM x

      Delete