Pages

Saturday 19 January 2019

Officially a Bad Cold

The doctor listened to my chest, took my temperature, looked a little concerned, asked whether I had someone at home to look after me and prescribed antibiotics for the chest and a lot of rest.  He asked whether I had had the flu jab, and when I said yes, he looked doubtful.  I believe I have an official 'Bad Cold' with extra self pity.

Whenever I get something like this, my nose runs so much that it makes Usain Bolt look like a snail.  I've gone through boxes and boxes of tissues and three rolls of flimsy but soft toilet paper.  I can't seem to stop coughing, and I have such a pathetic croaky voice that I'd rather text than talk.  Total pity party here, so I'm making the most of it.  Yesterday I watched Iron Man, the first of the Marvel films, and it was amazing how many hints there were that things could get bigger.  I didn't keep much attention while I was trying to watch Iron Man 2, which is apparently a common problem, and tonight I may see if I can watch some documentaries.  I feel in the mood for dinosaurs.

Now the Bad Cold is slowing down, I may be able to get back to some knitting.  I randomly picked up a ball of Katia Warmy for probably a reasonable price.  I actually had no idea what I was bidding on but I got a huge ball of something extremely fluffy and a pattern for a blanket on the ball band (one ball apparently makes one reasonably sized lap blanket, 36 x 49 inches or @ 92 x 125 cms) and I liked the idea a lot.  I've got to finish up the yak blanket first, as they take the same needle size, but that's just an incentive.  Then I look closer at the pattern.  The pattern is in six languages, and the English version is obviously a translation, but it's all clear.  The actual pattern is a chart, and I'm not a fan of charts as I forget which way I'm heading and get cross, but it won't kill me and I can get over that.  The worst detail, however, is that it uses fisherman's rib as a part of the pattern.  I loathe fisherman's rib.  I hate it with the passion of a thousand fiery suns.  That way lies madness and a lot of dropped stitches.  So while I'm sniffing and finishing off the yak blanket, I have to make the decision - do I follow the pattern?  It will look awesome if I can manage the stupid fisherman's rib, but it's fisherman's rib

I found a pic of fisherman's rib stitch, knitted by someone who actually can do it on WikiCommons. 


Wikipedia does have a list of stitches, but doesn't cover the dratted fisherman's rib.  It does say that 'Mistake Rib' is also called 'English Rib' which is a perfect commentary on this English woman's knitting, so it has some insights.  There's a 'how to' for fisherman's rib here, by someone a lot more patient than I am. 

As you can tell, I'm feeling a lot better.  I hope that I can get this blanket knitted soon.  Hugs to all. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete