Pages

Sunday 17 September 2017

Lighting a Candle

I can't remember who said, 'it is better to light a candle than curse the darkness' and I can't be bothered to look it up, but lighting candles happens a lot here.

Yesterday I picked up some more candles at Home Sense.  They have some wonderful candles in there.  I'm very picky so I took my time and had a good furtle around.  One thing surprised me - there are a lot of candles in there with a tobacco scent.  I'm sure it's not the 'stale ashtray' I'm imagining but something like a freshly sparked pipe with really good tobacco.  I didn't bother sniffing those but  I nearly gave myself a headache sniffing the rest of the candles.  Some were definitely not worth the sniff but some were heavenly.  I didn't score any woodwick candles this time but managed to pick up some a couple of nice ones, including one in a rather sweet brass holder which I'm sure I'll be able to re-purpose.

They had some of the 'Manly Indulgence' candles.  The one that looked the most like the one on the shelf was the midnight scented one here.  You can check if you like, it cost £65.96.  They are a lot more reasonable on eBay but still considerably more than the £7.99 the Black Sandalwood candle cost.  I didn't get it.  It smelled foul.

This afternoon was so wonderfully cosy.  We all were hanging out in the study, all just browsing, playing or, in my case, knitting.  There was a candle on and a sense of peace inside.  It was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment