Pages

Thursday 7 September 2017

Meh

I had an awful night last night and feel like severely overcooked spaghetti. There is, however, always a silver lining.  Bear did his homeworks traight away and without being harangued.  Dinner worked and was cod baked in foil with tomatoes, garlic and leeks and eaten with broccoli and rainbow chard.


I was going to suggest to bear that we have a go at growing this.  Then I remembered the awful truth.  We have slugs.  We don't have one or two, we have slathers of them and they completely ravaged the marigolds.  They are utterly feral and relentless.  When I go out at night I have to tiptoe around or it all gets very squashy.  

I think I'll try watering the garden with cheap coffee over the next few days and see how that goes.  Apparently they can't take caffeine.  If that doesn't work then I'm going to have to consider carefully what options are not going to hurt the local cats.  

Also, I now have a nutcracker and we have demolished most of the cobnuts.  Bear approved. 

3 comments:

  1. Sprinkle out the coffee grounds too...they eat them and can't digest them so...Ouch! they see slug heaven. ;) I love veggies but I've never had chard. I don't care for cooked spinach or turnip greens. Are they similar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margerine tubs filled with any cheap beer works. Sink them into the ground they fal in and drown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup beer or sprinkle salt down. The salt kills them pretty quick

    ReplyDelete