Pages

Monday 11 September 2017

Nothing to Report

Today has been a very bland day.  I've not managed to do much.  There have been no fusses with the neighbours.  Long may it continue.

While I on here, there are so many disasters at the moment.  There was the earthquake in Mexico, floods in Italy and Bangladesh and of course hurricanes Harvey and Irma.  If you are in any way religious please lift those places in your prayers.  If you want to make a practical difference I am sure there are many different ways you can donate but I would like to mention ShelterBox.  It isn't a 'big name' but does a lot of good where people have lost everything.  On their website they describe what they can distribute.

Our sturdy green ShelterBoxes are designed to help people who have lost everything. They are filled with practical tools and utensils that help to create the framework for everyday life.
Each contains a family-sized tent that protects people from the elements and provides a safe space in which people can start to recover from physical and emotional trauma.
The contents differ depending on the disaster and the climate, but items such as solar lights, water storage and purification equipment, thermal blankets and cooking utensils help start the process of creating a home. 

I'm not a part of Shelterbox, but it seems such a good idea in such extreme circumstances.  I believe some of the tools they supply with their kits go on being used long after the initial crisis has passed. 

We are forecast strong winds and flooding here.  It will be a very pale imitation of some of the crisis points at the moment.  I am very aware how lucky we are in this house.   

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea - Shelterbox - I will look into this. After the awful flooding of our cottage 3 years ago where we lost nearly everything I can understand how people feel who actually lose their homes completely. At least it wasn't our main home just the one we were renovating to retire to. It was still sad to have to put all our 10 years hard work in a skip! I am not looking forward to tomorrow I panic now when I hear about flooding.

    ReplyDelete