Pages

Monday 23 September 2019

Another Week Started

I'm writing this in an extremely sleep deprived state, so anything could happen. I tried to take a nap this afternoon, but I got a phone call just as I was getting settled. Fortunately it was good news that someone who was relying on Thomas Cook managed to get home, so I didn't really mind, but I am shattered.

I am also disappointed. Tonight we had turkey mince, cooked up with onion, lots of garlic, a little chicken gravy, peas and mango chutney, served with plain mash. There was supposed to be pickled mushrooms stirred through, but there was a slight issue. I bought some of the Sarson's Quick Pickling vinegar, link here, which was a complete impulse buy from when I last called into Tesco. According to the label, you can pickle food in 15 minutes, just pour over. I haven't done pickled mushrooms for years and they can really add a spark to a stir fry or stew type meal, and I thought it would take the pressure off messing around with pickling spice and salting the mushrooms. Tonight I read the bottle properly. It contains gluten. I could have cried. So I sliced up some mushrooms and poured the stuff over and bear and DH thoroughly approved.

Uncle used to make ferocious pickled onion, heavy on the chili, but with a good flavour, not just heat. I miss those as well. There are some interesting recipes on the Sarsons website, and I may get some stuff made up ready for Christmas, as it is getting that time.

Bear had an awesome violin lesson and it looks like he will be able to get piano lessons from the violin tutor, so that's a help. I wonder if the tutor knows what she could be letting herself in for.

Writing stuff - Today's writing challenge is up and is a miracle as I put it together during the morning rush as I hustled bear to school. However, I'm quite intrigued by it. Link is here.

Hugs to all.

Photo by Mahfuzur Rahman on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment